HDR FX-7 capturing HD

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
marknac

HDR FX-7 capturing HD

Post by marknac »

I have been having major problems capturing HD to Sony Vegas pro9. The software recognizes the camera, will actually turn the camera on to capture-yet their is nothing in the capture preview window-and nothing gets captured. Every once in a while, it will actually work. I have re-installed drivers, etc. and I am stumped.The software DOES recognize the camera-I have the settings correct on the camcorder. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: HDR FX-7 capturing HD

Post by Stephan »

Hard to say... Random problems are hardest to troubleshoot. I'd try another Firewire card (*), another software (nearly all of them have free trials available for download), another computer borrowed from some friend.

(*) Firewire, as a standard, has shown such a poor compatibility record (sometimes 2 particular devices will have trouble working together).
marknac

Post by marknac »

Is there any chance that the drivers are not compatible? I have Windows 7 64 bit-yet the only camcorder driver I can find for that model is 32 bit. Could this be a problem??
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

There aren't really any camcorder drivers as such. Since XP SP2, Windows has everything included to manage HDV Firewire devices, and - to my knowledge - you don't need to mess with drivers. I've done it several times with XP (haven't switched to 7 yet): clean system install, then add your editing software on top of that, and you're basically all set.

For some reason, some PCs (or some cams?) tend to have trouble with Firewire capture, and sometimes seem to have better luck using HDVSplit (but I never needed it myself).
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

If Vegas sees the cam then it's not likely a driver issue.

I know you said your settings are all correct and I believe you, but the most common reason for your issue is a settings mismatch. Sometimes people accidentally set up a DV project or have i.Link Conv set to ON or VCR HDV/DV is set to DV or something like that.

If it sometimes works then I think we can rule out a bad FW port or cable, although it is possible.

So if you could humor us and confirm that in Vegas, the project, capture and device control settings are all HDV, and in the FX7 you have i.Link Conv OFF, VCR HDV/DV is set to HDV, and you did in fact shoot HDV and the LCD says both HDV 1080i and HDV Out while you are playing back your tape in the cam.
Adam