GH2 footage but not mine

Want to share a great video? Your own work of art or someone else's? This is the place. Get ready for constructive feedback (mostly ;-) or maybe tar & feathers!
chrishull3

GH2 footage but not mine

Post by chrishull3 »

http://vimeo.com/18484574 i am trying to get used to mine and i dont know if i have done the right thing getting one after being refunded the 500D, regarding the film the only thing that spoils it for me is too much fast panning at times.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: GH2 footage but not mine

Post by Stephan »

Thanks for sharing this!

The colors are fabulous. It's not just the extra saturation (anybody could do that), but the richness and variety of color tones. I love it, that's what I want to achieve.

But the shaking and the shooting is bad. I agree about the pans. Panning fast and wide? Panning in telephoto? Even myself with my humble abilities I stopped doing this.

And walking in the streets, or in front of the market stands... Why move the camera so much? I mean, there's a nice-looking market stand with squids or spices, just stop a minute and take a calm shot! Even Doughie's quick test of the BlackBird stabilizer was better than that.

Okay, I understand why. In a developing nation, you don't want to attract too much attention with obtrusive equipment (been through that myself too). But then, just don't open your whole sequence with the poorest footage. Hide it in the middle of the video clip, after you had a chance to give a good first impression.

And in the midst of all the shaking, the sliding shots look so odd. And so does the wide-angle fish-eye lens as the camera moves. And the zooming during shots... And the shutter speed with the lions & cheetahs is too fast, there's some very strong strobing (needed an ND filter perhaps).

Again the colors are gorgeous (I'm still in shock!). And despite the shaking, I didn't see any significant rolling shutter wobble. Excellent, I want one for myself! But for a company-sponsored video overall, it's so experimental...
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Yes we think alike Stephen, wonderful looking colour etc spoilt by the pans.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

yes i liked the video and you're both right the colors were great, great tonal detail.
I agree the camera-slider shots looked a bit incongruous. I do think more stabilisation would have helped. He listed a shoulder-mount rig in the equipment but to me yes too much shaking. I think asd the cuts were many and fast, it still worked pretty well. My guess is the shooter is ore used to bigger and heavier cams and these very small cams you DO have to be vey conscious of the lack of weight and therefore the lack of intertia and really try very hard to keep it steady / use a monopod, or a Cinevate or Zacuto rig, have as many points-of-contact as possible. With a finder like Zacuto Z-finder, and some sort of chest-brace, you can have 3 or 4 points of contact quite easily and that will 'calm' the footage down hugely.

can other SLR lenses like Canon lenses or Nikkor lenses be used with the GH2? Is there an adaptor for that?
chrishull3

Post by chrishull3 »

Having checked a lot there are only two that i know of that gives full control of the canon ef zoom lenses one being the birger mount,they are very expensive and probobly worth it if you have a number of lenses, in my case i only have a tamron 10-24mm and 28-300mm plus a canon 50mm f1.8, i may well sell them now with the hoodloupe/hoodcrane kit which will cover the cost of a panasonic 100-300mm with the crop factor and E-T-C 300mm x 4.6, the tamron would have given the same if there was a cheap adaptor any way the auto focus control is great on the 14-140mm panasonic lens.The extra wide of the tamron 10-24 would have have come in useful but for me with all the wildlife stuff i delve in the long lenses are the priority.