Howdy - Steady Shot

HDR-AX2000 / HXR-NX5 (2010).
Shredder565

Howdy - Steady Shot

Post by Shredder565 »

hey all

I'm looking for some good shoulder braces for the XR520V or the Sony AX2000. I'm going to be filming a Spartan Race again this year, and this is a high energy and fast moving event. Doing it hand held did not provide good results, and tri pod idn't all that great either..

I saw this website, SpiderBrace.com, but not sure if this is a good option, or good for the camera's I Have..

thanks for any advice :)..
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Howdy - Steady Shot

Post by acgold7 »

Spiderbraces are very well-liked and respected, as long as you understand that no brace will make these cams handle like a true shoulder-mounted camera will. The center of gravity is all off. But they do help.

You could also look into some small stabilizers -- the poor man's version of a Steadicam. And you could go really economical by just attaching a monopod to the bottom of your cam (well, the xr, at least) and gripping it by the top of the monopod, letting the rest hang beneath. Lowers the center of gravity and acts a bit like a gyro.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

to echo acgold7 a bit, i use monopod attached to my vid-cam a lot. You dont have to have the monopod fully extended and resting on the ground. In fact i rarely do that. Having it around 18inches extended, right hand on cam as usual, and left hand holding the base of the monopod (against your body works well) will go a long way to stabilising your video. Means you are fully mobile, but it basically stabilises the cam in 3 axes of rotation : pitch, roll, & yaw really pretty effectively. Try that out, it works well.
Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 »

thanks :) Will give that a try and keep the info in mind..... Just wish I could afford a shoulder based cam, but it took me 6 months to save up for the AX 2000 alone!
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

There are shoulder mount cams that cost substantially less than the AX2000; check out our MC2000 review.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=277

As long as you're outdoors in good light, this could be the perfect cam.
Adam