Finding the cause of audio drop-outs ...

Recording audio content: microphones, on-camera audio vs. stand-alone recorders, recommendations on techniques and audio-recording hardware.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Finding the cause of audio drop-outs ...

Post by acgold7 »

It does 24V and 48V.
Adam
Nounours18200

Post by Nounours18200 »

So if it does 24V and 48V, the solution is probably to stop using the Beachtek and, instead , start using the ZOOM 4Hn with my current external BEYERDYNAMIC MCE-72-PV microphone.

This should work , i will just have to remove the soundtrack from the HC1 , and replace it with the soundtrack coming from the ZOOM 4Hn... with the nightmare of resynchronizing video and audio !...
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

It's actually very easy: just match up the waveforms on the timeline and mute the camera track.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Nounours18200 wrote:
ps. Nounours18200.... am i right in recognising your name from the SonyHDVinfo.com board?? Certainly looks familiar to me... either way.. welcome!!
Yes , correct, I am the same person !

Does some of you know what is the voltage provided by the ZOOM 4Hn phantom power supply ?

Thanks!
welcome back!! OK i have to head out right now, but a quick response for now to your last question : Yes i am 99% sure that the H4N supplies 48volt phantom power when you have that mode selected (it is in the menus etc). So for condenser mics that need phantom power, it should work fine. (although all the mics i have used with H4N so far are either condensers with on-board battery power, or dynamic mics like SM58 that are dynamic and dont need external power).
Nounours18200

Post by Nounours18200 »

Thanks.

Look at the post written by acgold7 just before: he also confirms that the ZOOM H4n supplies 48V, so I probably have the solution to the audio drop out.

The remaining pb will be to synchronise the video (recorded on the HC1) with the audio (recorded on the H4n): I fear to face some difficulties due to some "time differencies". I do not know how to explain that, but I faced this pb in the past when I had to resynchronize the HC1 video with an audio tape coming from another camcorder: even when video and audio were synchronized at the beginning of a sequence, they were slightly desynchronized after a few minutes (let say less than 1 second, but this is enough to feel it when you look at the final film on a TV).

Nevertheless, it is worth to test this solution.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

What you are talking about is called drift, and it's inevitable with two or more non-synced sources. But it should be minor; no more than a frame or two every hour. I've never had a sync drift problem using four Z5s, two xr520vs, the Zoom and an Olympus pocket recorder all at the same time. I suppose if there were an analog device in the mix it would be more of a problem.

More likely is that you had a tape dropout; this will cause a break and sync would be lost in this case. Recording to cards solves this problem. You could pick up a used MRC1k fairly cheaply and mount it to your cam's accessory shoe with an adapter and record via FW.
Adam
Nounours18200

Post by Nounours18200 »

More likely is that you had a tape dropout; this will cause a break and sync would be lost in this case. Recording to cards solves this problem. You could pick up a used MRC1k fairly cheaply and mount it to your cam's accessory shoe with an adapter and record via FW.
Yes I know this device, but regarding its price, it is more cost effective to buy a new camcorder like the Panasonic TM-700... It is probably what I will one day or another, because nothing lasts a entire life...