GoPro Buys Cineform

News from NAB, CES, IBC... Announcements from manufacturers for new products to come.
Doughie
Global Moderator

GoPro Buys Cineform

Post by Doughie »

To go off at a slight tangent here.... did you all see that GoPro had bought recently... Cineform ?? Odd purchase.
I guess they got a great price and essentially wanted to buy up clever codecs. Cineform is VERY small comapny of around 6 people only. But clever codecs. Anyway, just saying that as GoPro seem to be in the news lately.
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Ad Banners

Post by Stephan »

Yes, I saw that. Strange.

It's great that such a small team was able to make a difference compared to the behemoths like Adobe, Apple, and receive so much market recognition... But when acquisitions like this occur, you never know whether it's good news or bad news.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I think in short order we can say goodbye to their stellar customer service. Things like this only benefit the top executives, never the employees or customers.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

yes i really hope that Cineform codecs and all that continue to live long. Generally i think acquisition of a small company like that is never usually good but...
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Unless they are in a shrinking market, and need broader support. Software companies essentially live on new licenses, and sadly enough sometimes it seems that at some point in time there aren't enough new licenses to cover operating costs, so a buy-out might be good news actually (rather than closing the business if they can't do IPO).