Necessary to reformat card?

HDR-AX2000 / HXR-NX5 (2010).
FoxAdriano

Necessary to reformat card?

Post by FoxAdriano »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I'm using for the first time Memory Stick Pro-HG Duo HX, can you tell me if every time I have transferred files from Memory stick to hard disk I have to format the Memory stick or it is sufficient to delete those files in the Memory stick?
Thanks
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Necessary to reformat card?

Post by acgold7 »

It's not necessary to reformat the card. Erasing will do.

When you change the subject to something unrelated to your original post title, you should start a new thread. I've moved this one for you.
Adam
steve

Post by steve »

As Adam says, do not format the card, unless you have beeen having problems with lost or corrupted files. Flash cards have a limited number of erase/write cycles, and although the manufacturer will state a (seemingly) high number in their spec., its possible for odd cells to wear out well before that time.
I have 2 16GB SD cards used for stills & video and only erase them if:

1) they are nearly full
or
2) I am preparing for a major shoot and need the maximum space available

To reduce the risk of losing work stored between erasures, I usually transfer to system storage after every session.

Steve
FoxAdriano

Post by FoxAdriano »

acgold7 wrote:It's not necessary to reformat the card. Erasing will do.
But if I don't format but erase the memoy the number of the clips doesn't start from "one" number but from the latest number.
For example: if I erase 20 clips and I do some shots, the first clip have the 21 number.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

That is interesting. That is not the case with the CF cards in the MRC with which I have experience, and with all my other internal memory Sonys, both HDD and internal Flash. But I do not have an NXcam so I cannot confirm this. So if this is important to you with the NXCAM line, I suppose formatting will be required.
Adam