XR520VE - x.v. colour

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
Simbo

XR520VE - x.v. colour

Post by Simbo »

Hi,

Ive had this camcorder for about 6 months now and since day 1 I've always shot my video with x.v. colour enabled.

My understanding is that x.v. colour is just Sony 'renaming' xyvcc colour?! Am I correct?

The thing is when I watch my clips directly from the camcorder through my TV (which I have also enabled xyvcc colour on) the picture is bland and horrible. It actually makes for quite an unpleasant viewing. As soon as I switch off xyvcc colour on my TV the colours from the camcorder become brighter and more vivid again. Surely it should be the other way round?!
Arkady Bolotin

Re: XR520VE - x.v. colour

Post by Arkady Bolotin »

Yes, it is correct: xvYCC (or Extended-gamut YCC) is another name for the color space x.v.Color.

Maybe, the reason you see more attractive colors when you switch off [x.v.Color] function of your TV, is related to the connection you use to play back your clips on the TV. To transmit xvYCC-encoded video you need a HDMI 1.3 specification cable. Otherwise, the x.v. colors may not be well reproduced.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I was always puzzled by x.v. colour, for that very reason: how does your display device know which color space you were using when recording?

I read in Wikipedia: "xvYCC is not supported by DVD-Video or Blu-ray, but is supported by the high-definition recording format AVCHD and PlayStation 3" (sorry I couldn't find a more reliable / official source). If that is correct, I wonder if maybe you should switch it OFF altogether. Because if you can't distribute x.v. colour (share it with other people) and can only view it with your camcorder, it seems to me of little use, a source of problems more than anything else (with the current state of media technology, that is).

What do you think? Anyone got confirmation whether xvYCC can / cannot be used when authoring blu-rays for instance? In which situations is x.v. colour actually useful?
Simbo

Post by Simbo »

Thanks for the replies.

Im pretty sure that the HDMI cable I am using is of 1.3 standard....although I'm not 100%. I will check at some point. Thanks for the advice.

I very rarely watch my videos straight off the camcorder but I still found it puzzling why the x.v. colour seemed to have the opposite effect of what it was intended.

I have read of people being disappointed in the reproduction of colours from the XR520 so it did cross my mind that maybe recording in a wider gamut actually resulted in a wider range of disappointing colours.
Arkady Bolotin

Post by Arkady Bolotin »

Something about x.v. Color.

Let us take the Munsell Color Cascade as a color representation benchmark (this is a highly saturated, color chart consisting of 48 hues and 16 levels of lightness for 768 colors). Then we will find that a typical Plasma or LCD TV circa 2008 can only represent 55% of the Munsell Color Cascade. On the other hand, a LED-backlighted LCD TV can already represent 82% of the Munsell Color Cascade, and Sony OLED panel represents up to 97% of the chart colors.

Therefore, if you want objects with highly saturated colors, such as flowers, cars and stained glass, to be captured more realistically, the only way is a camera capable of recording xvYCC color signals and a x.v. Color enabled TV or PC monitor.

As to cameras, Sony have them a bunch: from discontinued HDR-CX5 to the newest HDR-CX110. However, with x.v. Color TVs the matter is more complicated. Many manufactures while claiming their TVs as x.v. Color enabled in fact equip them with an electronic circuit, which just expands the 256-bit picture signal by using values between 1 and 15 and between 241 and 254.

So, Stephan is quite right: to be on a safe side, it is better to switch off the x.v. Color function (at least till the times come and the x.v. Color technology will become mainstream).

And sorry Simbo for hijacking your post.