Sony HDR-XR350V Data Error problem

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
satish

Sony HDR-XR350V Data Error problem

Post by satish »

Hi,

I own a Sony HDR-XR350V handycam. Off late, the camera is throwing a "Data Error" message during recording. I have tried resetting the camera (power reset too). Nothing seems to get me rid of this problem. I have also formatted the HDD to see if this resolves the issue. Nothing seems to work. I am very passionate about this camera and don't like the idea of going to service center. Did anyone face a similar issue? Any suggestions to resolve the issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Satish
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: Sony HDR-XR350V Data Error problem

Post by Doughie »

Hmm. I have a XR520V which records to hard-drive. Never had that type of error (thankfully). I would imagine that it is a hard-drive related issue, but you've reformatted the hard-drive and no success. In my XR there is a 'recover database' function. Might be something similar to that in your cam, but maybe as you've already formatted HD, it might not help. Sorry to be of more assistance.
satish

Post by satish »

Thanks Doughie for the reply. To elaborate on the problem, when I start up the camera I am able to record for a few mins (7-8 mins) before getting the "Data Error" message. Next attempt the camera allows me to record for 4-5 mins and then gradually the recording time becomes less with each attempt. Finally after several attempts, the camera does not record. When I hit on the record button there is no "REC" shown on the LCD display, but the HDD activity symbol is displayed during this time I have little control over the camera. The power button does not operate and the camera does not turn off on closing the LCD. I am forced to pull out the battery to turn off the camera.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I hate to be saying this, but it seems that a trip to the service center is in order indeed :-/

I've seen with computers that when there is an issue with a hard drive, or with the controller electronics that drive it, it seems to be working fine until the whole thing's had time to warm up a bit, and then it starts behaving erratically until it's even warmer then grinds to a halt. Faulty drive maybe, then. Sorry :-/
satish

Post by satish »

Thanks Stephan. I submitted my camera to the service center this weekend. The service person took a look and confirmed me today that its an issue with the HDD. He has come up with a service charge of Rs 12000 (INR), approx $245 (which is high for me - paying 1/3rd of the camera cost). This includes the spare HDD cost, service charge and tax. Warranty for the new HDD would be 3 months only. As per his experience, HDDs he has replaced have not come back to the service center.
tvrowlett

Post by tvrowlett »

Satish, Did your Camcorder fix? and how much total you have to pay?
Thanks,

=====
Thanks Stephan. I submitted my camera to the service center this weekend. The service person took a look and confirmed me today that its an issue with the HDD. He has come up with a service charge of Rs 12000 (INR), approx $245 (which is high for me - paying 1/3rd of the camera cost). This includes the spare HDD cost, service charge and tax. Warranty for the new HDD would be 3 months only. As per his experience, HDDs he has replaced have not come back to the service center.