HDR FX 1000 FIRE WIRE PROBLEM

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
ZillaTech

HDR FX 1000 FIRE WIRE PROBLEM

Post by ZillaTech »

I have the same issue that everyone has when trying to capture using the firewire port. It doesnt work - i bet the port is fried like everyone else's . So i went out and bought a Black Magic Intensity Card and use the hdmi to capture the footage off my mini dv tapes. Which makes huge uncompressed files .... which i hate ...But when i am in the field recording and a client wants the footage i had to buy a Sony direct dvd burner to atleast get the footage off the camera onto a dvd . Which can be really time consuming ... and they only hold 4.7gb of information... is there any other work around i can use besides sending my camera in for repair just for them to tell me it cost 700 bucks ?
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: HDR FX 1000 FIRE WIRE PROBLEM

Post by acgold7 »

No. If you (or perhaps the prior owner if you bought it used) fried your port you have very few options. None will save you much time or money.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is for what you want to do with your FW situation.

If your FW port worked you'd have more options, but then you wouldn't have this problem.

If you contact Armato's in Jersey, it should cost considerably less than $700.

BTW It's not accurate to say "everybody" has this problem -- very few people do. It's only if they haven't connected it properly and follwed the specific method that they have this problem.
Adam
ZillaTech

Post by ZillaTech »

Armatosvideo.com site is shut down @ Adam
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Oh snap.

Looks like they closed late last year, but an email contact address is on their FB page. You could try writing Paul and see if he has a recommendation for you re: repair.

Your only other safe bet is a Sony Authorized Service Center, which can be found on the Sony website. Or at least used to be.
Adam