a BBC review of the HVRV1

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
peter

a BBC review of the HVRV1

Post by peter »

Just came across this while trawling another forum, it's worth a read
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/ ... HVR-V1.pdf
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: a BBC review of the HVRV1

Post by Stephan »

This stirs old memories... I remember I was fascinated that, at the same time the forums were roaring with complaints about 'marching ants' and 'flying mosquitoes' in progressive mode, this report went straight to the point of recommending low values for sharpness so as to avoid too much aliasing. Maybe the BBC was a bit extreme in the recommended settings, but the point was sound overall.
peter

Post by peter »

I completely agree with you and further when I was watching my first footage in my 1080 HD tv I was a bit stressed out at the aliasing and artifacts on my HDV footage until I dug around in the settings and again it was sharpness. They ship these tvs with it turned up to maximum, apparently the consumer doesn't know anything more than max saturation and sharpness. I turned sharpness way down on the tv and moderated it on the camera and voila, big improvement all round.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Absolutely, I did the same - disabled all so-called 'image enhancements' on the TV, set color saturation to medium/standard, and tuned down sharpness a bit on the cam.
steve

Post by steve »

Alan has been pretty consistent with his settings recommendations, usually trading some sharpness for a clean, low-aliasing image. I remember him saying about the FX1 it its early days that the lens was a bit soft but it helped in providing a clean image whereas the HC1, (and A1, one of which he owns) is a bit too sharp for a HDV stream.

Steve