sony hdr fx1 won't upload in hi def

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
len750

sony hdr fx1 won't upload in hi def

Post by len750 »

Hi all,
My (6 year old)Sony HDR FX1 won't upload in HD to my 4 year old Sony Vaio desktop.(Pent 4 CPU 3.20GHz 1.50GB of Ram)
I have other Sony hi def cams that will. It starts out in hi def, then goes to dv for the remainder of the tape. It shows HiDef in the the view finder but on my computor, not so much.
Thanks for ANY advice.

Len
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: sony hdr fx1 won't upload in hi def

Post by acgold7 »

Does it do this with all tapes or only one? Sounds like you recorded some stuff in DV mode.

What NLE? Project settings? Capture Settings? Camcorder settings? Try all three choices for VCR HDV/DV and see if anything changes. Could also be a bad FW cable, port or card.

Your PC is woefully underpowered for HDV.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: sony hdr fx1 won't upload in hi def

Post by Doughie »

yes its odd that the tape does this. HDV signal and DV signal are really quite different. Try recording some test footage of 2 or 3 minutes in HDV only on a new tape and see if it works ok. as you say though, the incident is different with different machines? Othe HDV cams you have work fine? Then it must be your FX1. Simple process of elimination to find out if the problem is the tape or the cam or the editor or teh connecting cable etc.

I agree with Adam, a Pentium 4 is going to struggle. Also 1.5Gb of RAM? I have 4Gb in my laptop and it struggles sometimes, thrashing the Hard-drive. I have antoher 4Gb coming soon, to make 8Gb. I suggest spending just 6 or 700 bucks on a new machine. Will be so much less frustrating.