HDR-FX7 Capture Issue

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
violenttofu

HDR-FX7 Capture Issue

Post by violenttofu »

I've got an interesting issue exporting video from my HDR-FX7 to my Apple macbook pro. the iLink logo is displayed on the lcd monitor and HDVin is displayed, but it unfortunately no longer will switch from hdvin to hdvout. FCP is configured correctly (easy set up, 1080i, 60) but it will no longer export. By process of elimination, i replaced the firewire cable, which did not help, went to the apple store and my mac's firewire port is still responding. I tried my camcorder with one of the Macs there and it still was not able to export hdv captures. At this point I believe it's the ilink port on the camcorder. Im just confused that it does recognize the ilink connection when it's connected to the computer. Does anyone else have this problem?

camcorder setting
VCR - HDV
i.link conv - off
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: HDR-FX7 Capture Issue

Post by Stephan »

Check your Device Manager - does your camcorder show up?

Even simpler hardware test: switch your camcorder to DV record mode, connect to computer, switch on in Camera mode without tape - it then behaves like a webcam. Does it show up in the Device Manager? Try the same test with a friend's Windows PC - in DV mode it should show up like a webcam with video and sound, no additional software required.

If none of this works, then your cam's firewire port is probably fried and needs servicing. Remember that Firewire isn't hot-plug. Only plug devices together when they're off and unplugged from the wall socket.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: HDR-FX7 Capture Issue

Post by acgold7 »

Which OS? What kind of port/cable on your Mac? We just had a long thread about a similar issue....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159

You could skip to the end of that thread for the solution. Bottom line: OSX 10.6.4, Sony Cams, and 4-pin to 9-pin FW do not play well together. If you have more than one of these factors at play, that could be your issue.
Adam