Slow motion recording on FX1?

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
Florent

Slow motion recording on FX1?

Post by Florent »

Hello
I have a HDR-FX1E. I would like to record some footage to be projected in slow motion after recording in order to analyse the motion. How can this be done, please? TIA.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Slow motion recording

Post by acgold7 »

Only in post. The FX1 does not offer SMOOTH SLOW RECORD, which didn't become a regular feature until the introduction of the V1/FX7 a while later.

Just slow it down on the timeline of your editing package.
Adam
Florent

Re: Slow motion recording

Post by Florent »

Thank you. F.
Florent

Slow motion recording 2

Post by Florent »

I am sorry to come in again with my question on slow motion.
I read in the manual on p.29 under "Adjusting the shutter speed": "Depending on the shutter speed, you can make the subject look still, or on the contrary, emphasize the fluidity of movement".
Please, what does this mean exacatly and what is the purpose of this ability? TIA.

Florent
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Slow motion recording 2

Post by acgold7 »

The shutter speed changes the amount of blur only. It does not affect the apparent speed of the motion. A short shutter speed (a number greater than 50 or 60, such as 1/250th) will give that stuttery "Saving Private Ryan" look. A slower shutter speed like 1/30 will add more blur and give the appearance of smoother motion, but only up to a point.

What you are looking for is a way to adjust Frame Rate, which no consumer level HDV cam offers. Shutter Speed is different.

Real HD cams that offer true overcranking are in the $100,000 range.

[Merged with original thread]
Adam
Florent

Re: Slow motion recording on FX1?

Post by Florent »

Thank you again for your reply. Now it makes sense to me although one must agree that the manual is misleading on the subject.
Florent
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Slow motion recording on FX1?

Post by acgold7 »

You certainly wouldn't be the first person to be confused by the Sony documentation, which always seems to be written for those who already know all about the cam's controls and therefore don't actually need the manual.
Adam