Odd timecode display

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Odd timecode display

Post by acgold7 »

No, just try switching TC MAKE to REGENERATE. See what happens then.

Your minute of bars should take you from 00;00;00;00 to 00;01;00;00. Make sure you see the colons between the pairs of digits. If they are not there you are displaying User Bits rather than TC, which is another issue entirely.
Adam
peter

Post by peter »

thanks Adam, thinks thats it fixed
Peter
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Excellent, that's great news. So now the question, just out of intellectual curiosity, is how did it get that way? Did you change the settings, or was it out of your possession, and could someone else have switched them? Your cam just shouldn't spontaneously do this if it wasn't doing it before...
Adam
peter

Post by peter »

Funny you mention that, today I spent hooked up to my 1080 HD Tv swotting up on picture profiles and camera profiles and what an edumecation that was. I've mentioned in other posts about default sharpening in the camera and the saME PROBLEM IN THE TV. Seems all HD tvs are shipped with the sharpness and saturation maxed up, the consumer wants it that way ??? So while I was examing my picture profiles and discovering over sharpness in them I also noticed that the tv was set to maximum sharpness which threw all my work out the window. I selected a HD national geographic programme, adjusted the sharpness way down to 3 and seriously moderated the brightness and saturation on the Tv and got wonderful, crisp, natural images.
So back to the camera. I focused it on my good looking wife, my flowers in the garden and previewed it live to my adjusted TV. The picture profiles needed just a little adjustment here and there but when focused on a human face the sharpness was way over the top so the profile for portrait was adjusted accordingly and I created another for 'soft intervu' for really close-up documentary style interviews. All the work was previewed live on my calibrated HDTV and I'm now superconfident with my profiles.
During all this work I discovered that I'd created a camera profile quite a while for a specific job and forgot about it until I was digging around today. I think I must have fiddled with the TC settings when I created this profile. At the time I was confused as to the difference between picture profiles and camera profiles.
So there we have it, a few questions asked and answered and I understand the camera a lot better. BTW live preview from ther camera to the HDTV is truly jawdropping but my wife hates it, you can see the pores on your skin!!! Makes it SSSOO important to have focus focus and more focus, you can get away with so much else and even fix it in post but you can't fix focus and these cameras have such an astonishing resolution you can't get away with sloppy focus.
There you are that's my rant for today.
Peter
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I remember I once overlooked the necessity of using that 'Skintone Detail' feature in a custom picture profile. The results were ghastly! We want detail in every part of our high definition video, except human faces because there, 'detail' takes other meanings, like pores, hair, wrinkles...

In desperate situations where you overlooked that when shooting, you may try secondary color correction in post by decreasing contrast in select picture areas that match skintone color.