Problem with playback with HDR-FX7

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
marknac

Problem with playback with HDR-FX7

Post by marknac »

I have an almost new camera. I was filming yesterday, and got an error message to clean my video heads. Seeing I used the camera only about 5x-I did not have the cleaning tape in my bag. The error message went away after powering the camera off,then on.I recorded as usual.When I tried to play it back, only a blue screen. I have cleaned the heads with the tape cleaner, all my other tapes play no problem. The problem tape plays in fast and slow motion.Any idea's what I can do to play this tape??

Thanks,
Mark
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Problem with playback with HDR-FX7

Post by acgold7 »

Your FX7 is new from the factory or used but new to you?

This is actually a fairly common problem but there's no definitive answer as to what it could be. Possibly dirty heads or possibly heads out of alignment. A trip to the shop may be in order, and it's likely you won't get anything off the problem tape. You could try a different HDV device to see if it plays back there, or maybe see if a service center can get the footage off for you.

In VCR mode, try playing around with the settings in MENU > IN/OUT REC > VCR HDV/DV. Try all three settings and see if you get anything on the onboard LCD during normal playback.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

sometimes this type of error is actually more common with a brand-new camera. I have read of instances where new cams gave some 'clean heads' message but these actually became less frequent the more the cam was used. I realise it doesnt help your problem with that tape right now though.
marknac

Post by marknac »

It was brand new.I had an older Canon that I cleaned the heads every 6 months or so. I was shocked that after-at most-20 hours of use- that the clean heads error was displayed. I only use brand new Sony DVM63 tapes. I appreciate everyone's help.

Mark
klab233

Post by klab233 »

This may be a stupid question but i just got my fx7 yesterday, Brand new. I tried to play a tape that was recorded on a jvc cam (i have read that there is a compatibility issue sometimes). Anyhow, i tried to play this back on the camera and just got a blue screen. then i tried a new sony minidv tape, recorded some footage and it wouldn't playback either. so i ran my head cleaner for about 10 seconds, put the new tape back in, recorded some test footage and it would play back... i guess my question is can a tape make the heads that dirty that quick?
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Strange... Anyway, you don't want to mix tapes of various origins in your camcorder. Years ago there were horror stories about different manufacturers using different kinds of tape lubricants, that didn't live well together when they mixed inside your cam... essentially clogging the tape heads. I thought it was a problem of the past, but it could explain your issue. To be safe, use only Sony MiniDV, they are cheap and good enough.