HXR-MC50e new pro version of CX550

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
rickmotionpic

HXR-MC50e new pro version of CX550

Post by rickmotionpic »

This could be a very interesting camcorder and lack of specs and no U.S version so far make it a bit of a mystery.
Looking at the Sony UK pro site it's just a cx550 with mic and lens hood, surely the firmware will be adjusted like in the Hc1/A1?
Another mystery is the higher capacity battery,pics from Nab show the Cam with the new V series battery but pics on Uk Sony pro dealers websites show it with the M series battery (last used on the Hc1/A1)!! Plus a very matt paint job.
On sale in July.
Any other news on specs other than the Nab and Sony Uk press release??

Thanks
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: HXR-MC50e new pro version of CX550

Post by Stephan »

Could you share the links to that UK site / press release? Thanks.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Here's the link.

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowProd ... Camcorders

Availability is specified as "from July 2010".

Along with the HXR-MC50E, there will also be an HXR-MC50J (Japan), HXR-MC50N (NTSC), HXR-MC50P (PAL), and an HXR-MC50U (U.S.). It wouldn't surprise if there wasn't also an HXR-MC50C (China) and maybe even an HXR-MC50M (same as the HXR-MC50E but without the GPS capability).

Regards,

Frank, Independent Consultant, New York, NY
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV at http://www.humanvalues.net/hdv/
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM and NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ]
Arkady Bolotin

Post by Arkady Bolotin »

Wow, what a familiar look! I always knew that HC1/A1 would be resurrected someday. That little cam was an exceptional product with unique capabilities…
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

rickmotionpic wrote: Any other news on specs other than the Nab and Sony Uk press release??

Thanks
i recall reading that someone who attended NAB in Vegas, said that they talked to a Sony rep or techy bod and they said that sony WAS doing (or continuing to do) firmware changes. I get the mild impression that the 'spec lockdown' was subsequently 'unlocked' and edits made at a fairly late stage to expand the extra features. Firmware edits obviously are quick-ish to make and dont impact hardware manufacture etc.

I think it'll be a great travel cam. Obvioulsy cams like AX2000, NX5 etc are big and bulky machines (in relative terms) and this MC50 is much more of a travel-size and since the guts of it are essentially CX550, it should shoot just terrific quality footage up to 24mbps.

Oh one more thing - off-topic sorry - on the 24mbps codec, again something i read is that certain people think that AVCHD shooting 24mbps (VBR) has the APPEARANCE of being not far off XDCAM quality recording at substantially higher bitrates (or was it DVCPRO at 50mbps? - not sure). OK the color-sampling isn't the same (its inferior) true. Main problem with AVCHD is, of course, it's a codec that, in the edit, makes your processor want a vacation (badly). Even though I have a fairly strong PC (core i3, 4Gb RAM) I am considering getting Cineform Neoscene to transcode all .MTS AVCHD files to cineform's AVI. 2Tb hard-drive for media only already acquired to that end.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I was recently at a movie premiere (a small event with ~40 people), organized by a local radio. And the radio host was doing a couple of interviews for their website - guess which camcorder they were using? I was surprised to see an HVR-A1 (5-year old model). For low-profile ENG, the small form factor combined with built-in XLR (for dual-mic interviews) must be quite attractive to keep using a 1st-gen CMOS for so long even in nightly events. But then the XLR inputs for the HVR-A1 were an add-on (like a Beachtek), not really built-in as I understand.

It's nice to see Sony's refreshing the model at last here. The improved low-light capability and reduced noise of the 550 models should be welcome upgrades. People will need to get to the AVCHD tapeless workflow though, but for ENG maybe that makes even more sense.

Is that what you would think is the target market for this cam here, vs. the consumer models?
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Stephan wrote:But then the XLR inputs for the HVR-A1 were an add-on (like a Beachtek), not really built-in as I understand.
Actually i think the XLR module and inputs were completely standard on the A1. That was the principal difference (but not the only one) between it and the HC1. Same sensor though, which didnt excel in low-light it's true.

I think the MC50e is a really good machine and would be great for low-profile ENG etc.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

The HVR-A1U product page on Sony Style (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665185977) shows the XLR module was separate and attached onto the accessory shoe.

But then, oops... my bad, I should have looked better: the HXR-MC50E has no XLR input, the microphone is a minijack!! The product page Frank linked to says that the benefits are:
The HXR-MC50E features a professional design with the same cosmetic finish as the HXR-NX5E, giving the product a high-quality, professional look, whilst still being able to pass for a consumer camcorder for covert recording in documentary applications. [...]
a range of supplied professional accessories including a large Lens Hood, an ECM Shotgun Microphone with holder and a high capacity battery [...]
2 year Sony PrimeSupport
Only cosmetic and maybe a few firmware features?! Okay... Anybody has seen anywhere what should be the expected price for the HXR-MC50, compared to its CX550 sibling?
Frank

Post by Frank »

The HVR-A1-series camcorders included a removable/detachable audio module with balanced 3-pin Mic/Line switchable XLR jacks. Some people that I was working with at the time of the introduction of the HVR-A1 liked the fact that the audio module was removable as the camcorder could be used in a much more discrete manner with the module removed.

As to the HXR-MC50-series products, I'm not too impressed, personally.

To quote from a presentation given by Sony back in April (NAB-time), "The camcorder has a consumer specification (same as HDRCX550VE) with a professional look and additional supplied items to support professional shooting. (Shotgun mic, lens hood, larger battery, PrimeSupport etc)".

The PDF file from which that quotation is taken can be found in my Documentation Index under the following file name:

Sony_HXR-MC50E_NAB_Presentation_-_2010_April_EN.pdf

That's the file name of the English language version. An (almost identical) French language version can be found under the following name:

Sony_HXR-MC50E_Presentation_-_2010_May_FR.pdf

While I don't really see anything wrong with what Sony did in terms of repackaging the HDR-CX550V/HDX-CX550VE with a black paint job, a couple of accessories, and a better warranty, I also don't believe that that makes it a professional grade product, especially due to the lack of XLR audio -- and I've never been a big believer in the use of after-market adapters such as those offered by BeachTek, juicedLink, Sign Video, Studio 1 Productions, et al, when numerous camcorders with built-in XLR audio are readily available.

As to the price of the HXR-MC50, B&H has listed the U.S. model (HXR-MC50U) as in stock for $1499 for a couple of weeks now. They don't list the European model (HXR-MC50E), however. B&H lists the HDR-CX550V for $1199, also in stock. Both are offered with free USA shipping. The B&H HDR-CX550V package includes a free Sony NP-FV100 battery.

In the U.S., the HDR-CX550V has a 1-Year Parts / 90-Days Labor warranty while the HXR-MC50U has a 2-year warranty.

Frank, Independent Consultant, Still stranded somewhere in the State of New York
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ].
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Stephan wrote:The HVR-A1U product page on Sony Style (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1665185977) shows the XLR module was separate and attached onto the accessory shoe.
Misunderstanding - i thought you meant it wasnt included with the A1 as standard, but you meant it wasnt physically permanently part of the main cam. Yes the SLR module bolted on top of the A1, you could definitely remove it. In fact i remember that someone found that you could REVERSE the A1 XLR module and have the cam better balanced due to the mic etc being further back AND with the added benefit of there was no danger of the mic appearing in-shot which could happen if you used a WA attachment lens and a long-ish shotgun mic like a Rode NTG2 with windshield.?[/quote]
Stephan wrote:Okay... Anybody has seen anywhere what should be the expected price for the HXR-MC50, compared to its CX550 sibling?
to echo Frank, yes it looks like US$300 diffrence. this is a LOT less of a difference than the reputed price-point that the MC50 was originally targeted at.