More Dynamic Range for HVR-Z1

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
DouglasAraujo

More Dynamic Range for HVR-Z1

Post by DouglasAraujo »

Hey friends!
Well, i bought a Canon T2i and i was compare with my not too old HVR-Z1.
The difference about dynamic range between T2i and Z1 is very big. Because Z1 have a smaller sensor than T2i.
Reading thousands things in the web, I could find a setting to canon T2i for better Dynamic Range. Now T2i is better x2.

Someone know a setting for HVR-Z1 to do this same thing?
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: More Dynamic Range for HVR-Z1

Post by Stephan »

Try creating a custom Picture Profile with BLACK STRETCH = ON.

I don't have a Z1 (Adam might answer this better than me) but BLACK STRETCH changes the gamma curve to reveal more details in the shadows. This won't radically increase Dynamic Range, but should ordinarily be useful in high-contrast lighting situations.

I thought there was a similar setting for the highlights (more detail in the bright areas), but I think it was maybe only introduced with the later HVR-V1.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I don't have a Z1 either, but from my reading of the manual you might also try CINEMATONE GAMMA TYPE 2, which allegedly improves the color gradations, but doesn't really increase dynamic range, which to my understanding is the degree of change between the lightest and darkest points it can faithfully record, not the subtle gradations in between.

The highlight equivalent to Black Stretch is KNEE POINT, from what I understand, and yes, Stephan's right, this didn't get introduced until the V1.
Adam
DouglasAraujo

Post by DouglasAraujo »

Hey! Thanks for the help!

Yes, i tried here and Black Stretch and gave some better shadows.
Does cinematone gamma type 2 subtract dynamic range? I feel more contrast.

Have a nice day!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

DouglasAraujo wrote:Does cinematone gamma type 2 subtract dynamic range? I feel more contrast.
Indeed, as far as I remember from my early tests, cinematone brings down the gamma curve by crushing the shadows towards black.

More contrast = less dynamic range.
steve

Post by steve »

Surely, flattening the response at the limits of the dynamic range will increase the possibility of stepping in the mid-range. This can be a problem on a 4:2:0 system. A separate recorder would help if it had 10 bit recording, but the Z1 doesn't have any uncompressed digital outputs.

Steve