Time Code Sync

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
konabrad

Time Code Sync

Post by konabrad »

Brand new to the forum.

I have a pair of Sony HVR-A1U HD cams that I use in multi-camera shoots. My NLE is Sony Vegas 9. Using the "multicam" feature in this software, I am able to produce very acceptable video on DVD. However, the process of syncing the video tracks from two cameras is cumbersome and time consuming. Although my cameras have a Time Code, they can not be sycronized during the shoot (at least I don't think so).

Due to the poor low light chacteristics (7 lux) of the A1, I have been considering upgrading to the newer Sony cams such as the HVR-Z5U (tape) or the HXR-NX5U (flash). If I'm going to spend the money to upgrade for improved low light capability, I would also like to have the apbility to time code sync two cameras while shooting. I read both user manuals and here is where my confusion starts. There is reference to SMPTE and the abiltiy to reset and sync two or more cameras that have this feature. However, it appears that once the TC's are reset to 00:00:00:00 through the iLINK cable, operation of each camera is indepdent of the other, as the info states the cable can be disconnected. In other words, I thought that one camera would act as a "primary" controlling the "start/stop/etc" function of the "secondary" while keeping the TC's in sync with each other.

I need some clarification here please.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Time Code Sync

Post by acgold7 »

Hey Brad, good to see you here...

The TC LINK feature on the Z5, and other Sony cams, only syncs the TC of multiple cams at a single point in time. So you'd need to make sure TC is set to FREE RUN when you do this -- otherwise there's no point. And another annoying factor is an easy way to lose sync is to power off the cam, which is unavoidable if your cams are going to be running off AC power some distance apart. Not an issue if you're running off batts.

The cams can and do drift over time so it isn't foolproof, but it's the best you can do until you move up another class level to cams that will take external TC input and genlock, like the EX3.

To be honest, I just sync in post using the audio waveforms, as being even a frame out when using TCLINK renders it useless.

All that being said, the Z5 (and its tapeless cousin, the NX5) is a truly remarkable cam.

[Moved to Sony 3-chip HDV forum]
Adam
oliverhall

Post by oliverhall »

Hi,

I use TC syncing all the time. I film with the sony V1, Z5 and Z7 most of the time. All three can sync - even from Z5 to Z7 (not sure about V1 with others).

The TC can drift but we find that even over a few days it is only one or two frames out - even with the camera being turned off with no battery on it over night.

Another option is to use a clapper board. Very inexpensive but just as quick in the edit, just find the frame that the board closes from all angles and mark the In point.

Hope this helps
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Thanks for this valuable info. Maybe we'll try using TC LINK more often -- I've been nervous about losing sync after reading the warning in the manual, but if you say it's not an issue, we'll give it another shot.

A note on using the clapper (which we always do as well, when we can): Using the audio spike for the "clap" is more accurate than using the visual, we've found, if you're allowed to use the clapper where you shoot. Visually, popping off a strobe at the cams is very accurate.
Adam
konabrad

Post by konabrad »

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I was hoping (dreaming maybe) that the iLink connection between two cameras would not only sync the time codes, but provide a remote control capability as well. The iLink feature is bi-directional and is used to control the tape transport when capturing to my NLE, so it follows (or it seems) that a "master/slave" control relationship could exsist between two cams. Although I use a LANC controller on my unattended remote camera, it would be great to have the primary cam start and stop the record function on the seconday cam through the iLink cable without having to use the LANC controller.

I will continue to do my sync-up in post. Yes, using the audio tracks seems to work best. I use a USB device called a "ShuttlePro v2" which has a jog dial that allows me to move one frame at a time, forward or backward, on one video track while listening to two audio tracks. Beats the heck out of using a mouse.

Thanks again,
Brad
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

acgold7 wrote:Visually, popping off a strobe at the cams is very accurate.
Yes thats what i tend to do. We take a stills flashgun, get all cams rolling (2 or 3 cams) and then we all film the flashgun firing and thats the synch. Flashgun works better than someone using a Point-&-Shoot small digicam as often they have the red-eye reduction on and its multiple flashes. My Nikon SB-900 gives one nice big flash, zero ambiguity about that!