Which Editing package do you use?

Edit your videos. Upload them to the web. Burn blu-rays and DVDs. Colors look odd maybe? Fix'em in post, then!
halfpipe

TMpGenc Authorworks 4

Post by halfpipe »

I've just recently bought TMpGenc Authorworks 4 to author blu-ray and I'm impressed.
It's fast, a delight to use and does the job nicely
lenshead

Re: Which Editing package do you use?

Post by lenshead »

Hi, I'm new to the forum...

I use Avid newsmaker at work and Sony Vegas 9 at home.
Have an i7 desktop and an i3 laptop, and i also noticed the cineform codec disappear in Vegas 9, went and bought Gearshift from VASST and use proxy files and dont mind the extra step when dealing with the process intensive files. I know corel studio deals with AVCHD really well but they also have a built in proxy server.

I bought a Sony A1U about 5yr ago and have only recently started editing in HD, thus reading endless pages on it and found this forum. So I hope you dont mind if you see some newbie question pop up from time to time.

John
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Hello John, nice to have you here.

Sure, no worry - that's what this forum is for (as long as you do your homework beforehand ;-)

Cheers, welcome again!
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

lenshead wrote:Have an i7 desktop and an i3 laptop, and i also noticed the cineform codec disappear in Vegas 9, went and bought Gearshift from VASST
Hi John - am interested in your comment "i also noticed the cineform codec disappear in Vegas 9". - do you mean there was some technical error with the product so it is no longer usable for you with Vegas? Or have Cineform stopped making Cineform codec for use with Vegas?

and what are your thoughts on Gearshift now you have bought that? I use Vegas and was considering NeoScene from Cineform. If you have had a positive experience with Gearshift maybe i will try that instead. So yes i'd be really interested in your experience and the differences using Gearshift has made to your editing process of HD files in Vegas 9.

thanks in advance.
Doughie
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Cineform still works with Vegas, according to the Cineform website. It's possible there was a small licensed version that came with past editions of Vegas (like it did with the old Premiere Pro 1.5.1) that is no longer included free.
Adam
lenshead

Post by lenshead »

Doughie wrote:
lenshead wrote:Have an i7 desktop and an i3 laptop, and i also noticed the cineform codec disappear in Vegas 9, went and bought Gearshift from VASST
Hi John - am interested in your comment "i also noticed the cineform codec disappear in Vegas 9". - do you mean there was some technical error with the product so it is no longer usable for you with Vegas? Or have Cineform stopped making Cineform codec for use with Vegas?

and what are your thoughts on Gearshift now you have bought that? I use Vegas and was considering NeoScene from Cineform. If you have had a positive experience with Gearshift maybe i will try that instead. So yes i'd be really interested in your experience and the differences using Gearshift has made to your editing process of HD files in Vegas 9.

thanks in advance.
Doughie
Thanks for the welcome Stephan,
still reading : )

Hi Doughie,
there is a quote from David Newman
CTO, CineForm

half way down this page
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happen ... s-9-a.html

I may purchase Neo if i get tired of using proxy files, i guess it will depend on project size and workflow.

J : )
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Right, David's post confirms what I thought, which is that there is no free Cineform license included with Vegas, but it still works fine if you just buy it.
Adam
dlowery

Post by dlowery »

Well as I use Mac, I edit footage using iMovie (iLife 9) ad Final Cut Express 4.0. I use both Macbook Pro and iMac 27" all in one. I would love to be able to pick up Final Cut Studio, but considering my recent purchases I have been "Cut Off" from funding by my other half :o)
Guy Bruner

Post by Guy Bruner »

I've been using Sony Vegas since version 3 (around 2003). Am now using Vegas Pro 9 but will upgrade to Vegas 10 in the near future while it is still $139.99 for users upgrading from previous Pro versions. Vegas software is known for being codec agnostic...it will ingest and process almost anything. Its workflow is slightly different than other NLEs but once you get over the differences, you can fly with it and do things that take multiple steps and more time with other NLEs. It is extremely flexible through the use of scripting. You can automate many aspects of its operations and there are many free scripts available as well as some very comprehensive for pay scripts. It is also much less expensive than some of those other NLEs and Sony does its clients right when they bring out new versions.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Guy - long time no speak ! welcome!

I use Vegas too, but i do wish the Red Giant Software would bring out a version of Magic Bullet Looks or Magic Bullet Mojo and make it work with 64-bit Vegas Pro 9.
Right now, it simply won't work. I emailed Red Giant to enquire but my enquiry seems to have fallen off their radar...

Guy if you have any insight into color-grading on Vegas, i would be really grateful. You are absolutely way more experienced on Vegas than i am. I want to do color-grading a la Magic Bullet Looks or similar, so if you could PM me, or post here, to let me know your best advice on that - i would be indeed grateful.