Sony HDR FX7 - importing to iMac

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
tedwit

Sony HDR FX7 - importing to iMac

Post by tedwit »

I have a Sony HDR FX7 brand new camcorder, and it works wonderfully. But when I import the videos into my iMac, using iMovie 6 HD or iMovie 9, either way the quality is severly downgraded. I am using Sony HDV 63 Minute Tapes, and the picture quality from the tape itself is good, but after import the quality is never even close. I had an older DV camcorder, and it had the same issue, so I bought this much better HDV camcorder, and I still have the same problem! Do I need a new software program, or is there a setting I'm not noticing? I tried to make a movie for a wedding, and I am worried that the quality will come out poor again, for a prospective client and ongoing source of income this is a serious problem. I would like to have the video quality stay true, full size, and take up a lot of space on the computer, but I can't even find the option. The iMac is an '08, running software Version 10.5.8, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Any information or advice would be appreciated.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Sony HDR FX7 - importing to iMac

Post by acgold7 »

Could just be a preview issue on your Mac. It's underpowered for HDV.

Make sure you are setting up an HDV project and that you are not downconverting upon capture. Obviously you made sure you actually recorded in HDV mode?

Your FX7 is brand new to you but used, or brand new from the store in a sealed box? If used or demo, possibly someone has monkeyed with the settings.
Adam
tedwit

Post by tedwit »

It was a factory refurbished model, and the capture is set to HDV. With 3 GB of ram and a few year old Mac, and I just going to be stuck with lower quality, or is there a setting to adjust? How would I check if the camera's setting's have been altered?
tedwit

Post by tedwit »

In iMovie HD6, the preferences for Playback Quality are Standard (smoother motion), High (better image), and Highest (field blending). To have the best image quality in the final DVD produced, does the playback quality have an impact, or is that merely for viewing the project pre-production?

Also, for importing, there is an option for Automatic DV Pillarboxing and Letterboxing - What does that mean? Should I turn it on, or leave it off? I have been using Highest (field blending) Playback Quality, but could High (better image) produce a sharper image?

In iMovie 9, the Video Preference allows for NTSC (30 fps) or PAL (25 fps), and Import HD video as: Large (960x540) or Full - Original Size. I have it set on NTSC, Full, and yet still do not have the HD quality I recorded in and require for the movie I'm making.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

The DV settings are only for when you convert to DV from HDV. The Playback quality settings are just for playback preview and should not affect the final export.

But I'm not a Mac guy so these are just guesses. Also, unless you have a Blu-Ray burner (which Macs do not natively support) you are downconverting to SD when you make a DVD. How are you playing back when you are done editing and rendering?

When you are recording with your FX7, you should see "HDV1080i" in the upper left corner of the LCD. When playing back, confirm that i.Link CONV is OFF and that VCR HDV/DV is set to HDV.

Then make sure you use an HD or HDV preset in iMovie, and make sure that Capture and Device Control settings are set to HDV. None of your settings should read DV anywhere. If it looks bad at this point it's just a preview issue because your Mac is underpowered and it is reducing the resolution to play back anything at all. Go ahead and do some editing, then render and export and play back on a proper HD device like an HDTV.

Again, what playback device are you using? And by the way, you don't need to use HDV tapes. Regular cheap Sony Premiums (about $2 each) are fine and give you the exact some picture.
Adam
realbar

Post by realbar »

Hello tedwit,
I also purchased a Sony HDR-FX7 Camcorder. I have an Imac which does not have a i.Link port. Sony wants me to hook the i.Link from Camcorder to Computer. Would you please explain what procedure you used?
Type of cable, adapters if any, software to transfer to Imovie 09. Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
realbar
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

i.Link is Firewire. Is there a Mac without Firewire? If so, your local Apple store or Best Buy can help you add a Firewire card to get your video into your Mac. No other way. No adapters or other software necessary or even possible, unless you can capture to someone else's computer and use a portable hard drive to transfer the files.

I think Doughie has iMovie and can walk you through the proper settings.
Adam