Sony GV-HD700E Walkman

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
Billybear2

Sony GV-HD700E Walkman

Post by Billybear2 »

I have a sony Walkman GV-HD700, which I use for edit and playback of tapes from my Sony HVR-V1E camcorder. The HD700 deck has started briefly pausing playback (freezing a frame) with occasional very brief blank screen, then resuming normal playback, and so on. I have tried cleaning the heads with a tape head cleaner - twice. It still seems to be a problem. Any suggestions? could the tape heads or drive mechanism need attention?
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Sony GV-HD700E Walkman

Post by acgold7 »

Could be, but it sounds more like tape dropouts. What tapes are you using? Are they new or re-used?
Adam
Billybear2

Post by Billybear2 »

Thanks Adam. No, I do not record over used tapes, they are always either part used (some part of the tape still unrecorded) or new. I have wondered whether they should be rewound after play, and all new ones wound to the end and back again before use. This sometimes seems to do the trick. What are your views?

Roger
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

You could certainly do a FF/REW cycle before and after using tapes. It wouldn't hurt and it might help, even though it isn't strictly necessary. Some people say it helps to evenly repack the tape.

These dropouts you are having -- are they in the middle of a shot? Or between scenes? If between, have you removed and reinserted the tape between shots? What brand of tapes are you using?
Adam