Can not capture HD on Vegas Pro 10 using Sony HVR-V1U

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
gjbauhof

Can not capture HD on Vegas Pro 10 using Sony HVR-V1U

Post by gjbauhof »

I have just bought a Sony HVR-V1U, but I cannot get my editing software (which is Vegas Pro 10) to capture any HD video.

I have captured DV from my old DCR-TRV950 no problems.

Running Windows Vista 64 Bit.
Vegas Pro 10 also a 64 bit.

I have the VCR output set to HDV

I have the "i.Link CONV" set to off.

I plug the firewire into the camera, and turn the camera on. The computer DOES recognize the camera.

I open Vegas Pro 10. I click "capture video", I select "HDV or SDI".

I've unchecked the box in preferrence on the Video tab which I'm supposed to (It's the "use external video capture" box.

The HD capture screen comes up. It recognizes the camera. I've selected the camera in the "device - preference -IEEE 1394/MPEG2 -TS Device.

BUT...if I press play, it won't show the video from the camera (I can see it in the LCD screen on the camera though, and it's playing).

If I click "capture", the tape in the camera will play, but nothing is captured on the computer. All I see is a blue screen on the capture screen and the tape time ticking away. No MB captured, no Dropped Frames.

I've seen on other forums that people have had similar issues, but no one seems to have a solution.

Please help!!! Do I need a new firewire card for the PC? How can I control the camera via the firewire but not get any capture from it? Bad wire?

Any help you can give would be appreciated!
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Can not capture HD on Vegas Pro 10 using Sony HVR-V1U

Post by acgold7 »

What happens if you CHECK the "use external video capture" box?

It's not atypical to not see the capturing video on the PC for HDV, only on the cam. Most NLEs work this way. Not a Vegas user so can't say for sure but I know this is true for Premiere.

Sounds like Device Control is seeing an HDV device but Vegas may still be looking for a DV signal.
Adam
gjbauhof

Post by gjbauhof »

It won't recognize the camera anymore because it is no longer looking for HD signals.

The purpose of "unchecking" that box is so the internal capture program within Vegas Pro can capture the HD video. If it's checked, the editing software thinks it's looking for regular DV.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Well, then you got me. Maybe some Vegas users can jump in.

Usually a problem of this sort is caused by a settings mismatch; that is, someone has set up a DV project and then tries to capture HDV.
Adam
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

Hmm. I don't really know on this one, as i have never captured HDV in Vegas. I have only used AVCHD clips in vegas, and they don't require capturing.
gjbauhof

Post by gjbauhof »

Hi folks,

Well I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I seem to have cracked my problem. I didn't have an HD driver that would work on Vista (64bit) apparently. So after looking on some other forums, I did find someone posted about the same problem and was able to fix it using the free fire wire driver located at this website:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/gene ... R1002_USEN

HP has had complaints, so they came up with this as a fix. I can catpure just fine now. We'll see what happens when I shut off my computer and turn it back on tomorrow, but at the moment I'm all good.

Thanks!
Later,
G
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Interesting. Glad you got it worked out.
Adam