Trouble exporting files from PMB into HD

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
DtRockstar1

Trouble exporting files from PMB into HD

Post by DtRockstar1 »

Hey guys! I have a Sony HDR-CX100. I have been importing my pictures and videos into PMB, and I like putting videos on youtube. But when I export the videos to wmv, the highest resolution it allows is 640x480. It makes my youtube videos look a bit fuzzy.

I've tried exporting it as an MPEG-2 file, but I cannot for the life of me find the codec that allows me to play that file back.

Anyone experience this?

Chris
Arkady Bolotin

Re: Trouble exporting files from PMB into HD

Post by Arkady Bolotin »

Hey Chris,

I do not know what PMB is, but if the only purpose to use it is to publish your video clips on YouTube, I have an excellent alternative for you.

Use MyMovie – Windows Live Movie Maker (it’s a part of the Windows Live suite). It is free, available and very capable. In one click you can either convert your AVCHD clips (as I know, this is HDR-CX100’s video format) into a HD 1080p WMV movie (at the quality of 7.98 Mbps bit rate) or directly upload a clip to YouTube in any aspect ratio (widescreen 16:9 included).

Try it, you would love it.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Picture Motion Browser is the software that Sony ships with their AVCHD camcorders. As I understand, it's mainly useful to:
  • Merge together video files when continuously-recorded video exceeds the 2GB limit of FAT32, and therefore has been split by the camcorder,
  • Convert AVCHD to MPEG2 when you do not have AVCHD-capable editing software.
On Sony's support website I pointed to, I realize the AX2000 is not in the list of supported camcorders. Can you check that, Arkady? Didn't you get PMB with your AX2000? Strange, because if true I wonder how Sony expects AX2000 users to handle the 2GB limit.

Back to the topic...

Chris, once the AVCHD video files are on your computer, you can use any editing software to convert them. Windows Movie Maker is an option as Arkady said, there are other simple & affordable software you might try (Ulead VideoStudio, CyberLink PowerDirector, Adobe Premiere Elements), they often have free trials that you can download.

Or maybe, if you're only converting and not actually editing clips, have you tried uploading AVCHD video straight into YouTube (if your Internet access is fast enough)? Worth a try... I do it for old-style MPEG2 HDV, works like a charm. So who knows, maybe YouTube can also process AVCHD.

Side note: we should really start a "How to edit and convert AVCHD" thread in the Editing forum, someday. Arkady, would you be a sponsor to launch that thread (since you have a proper cam)? Could even be worth an FAQ, I think.
Arkady Bolotin

Post by Arkady Bolotin »

The AX2000 was not on the list of the camcorders supported by Picture Motion Browser because this camera is shipped (as well as the NXCAM branded pro camcorder HXR-NX5) together with the Sony Content Management Utility (CMU) software.

(This is why I hate abbreviations – people easily forget to decipher them and that make their communication with each other sounds like Martian for unfamiliar persons: “We found that enabling HPET or APCI2 is critical to keeping QPI frequency in a way similar to cranking FSB” – it is just an example of the sentence I’ve caught today’s morning in our computation center).

CMU is a Windows-based software application for importing, previewing, and copying clips from NXCAM media. It has some unique features like merging divided clips (up to 2 Gb) into one single file and combining clips that span two memory cards.

Regarding me sponsoring AVCHD editing stuff, yes, Stephan, maybe I will, when, actually, I will have something educated to say about it.

Meantime what I do is a quite simple workflow.

First, using CMU I transfer camera-original MTS clips from the memory cards to the PC hard drive (doing this CMU replaces the file extension to “m2ts”). Then I launch the Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, and that is pretty much all of my workflow.

The only trick I‘ve learned so far, is that choosing a preset matching the majority of clips transferred for editing session you should pick an anamorphic type.

At the end, I open the Adobe Encore CS4 to perform the authoring work and to burn a Blu-ray disc. Usually (did I say usually? – honestly, I did this only a couple of times) it goes smoothly and painlessly (if you do not count a menacing rumble of the PC fans and spiking temperature indicators in the middle of the process).