Editing software for Sony DCR-SX44

Edit your videos. Upload them to the web. Burn blu-rays and DVDs. Colors look odd maybe? Fix'em in post, then!
Sam709

Editing software for Sony DCR-SX44

Post by Sam709 »

Hi! I am a newbie to decent video editing software. I shot video with a Kodak Z digital camera and edited it (just trim the ends off) with the Easyshare software it came with. I recently got and am learning Videopad software to try more precise editing. ( I perform stand up. If you like, check them out at youtube - my channel there is SamSchott1 )
I have just upgraded to a Sony SX44 and my first assignment is to shoot a Fandango commercial spot for a regional theater chain. The raw footage is coming out well. My challenge is going to be editing the scenes together and recording the voiceover tracks with SFX then 'attaching' the new soundtrack to the finished video edit.
I do have the software disc that came with the Sony, but have yet to try it. I'd very much appreciate anyone's advice for a total newbie trying to get smooth results fairly quickly with a learning curve that's not too steep. (I expect to spend more time as I do other projects learning the ropes, but I have a deadline to meet first.)
I'd like to know what works easily, well, and is compatible with Windows 7. Something user friendly, and simple to start with, but gives quality results. Am I asking too much? :-)
Thanks very much,
Sam
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Editing software for Sony DCR-SX44

Post by Stephan »

Mildly off-topic for this website, since that is not a High Definition camcorder... Anyway, try Windows Live Movie Maker, or Ulead / Corel Videostudio. Simple, approachable software that should get you started. No idea whether they really support your camcorder, I didn't even know Sony does Standard Def camcorders that record onto flash memory.
Sam709

Post by Sam709 »

Thanks for being kind, especially considering my question is about 720p, which nowadays isn't HD. It was a shot in the dark, and I'm grateful for the advice. I'll check into the software you recommended. Best, Sam
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

720p is HD, in a way. 720 and 1080 were competing at first (a few years ago), and 720p is still considered part of the HD family.

But you surprise me here. You said Sony SX44, so I looked up and found this: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 1666073283

Check the Specifications tab: it's not 720p, it says Video Signal NTSC color, Video Resolution 720 x 480 (which indeed is NTSC, not 720p), and the title does say 'SD'. Unless we're talking another cam, this one doesn't seem to record 720p.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Sam, the Sony DCR-SX44 is an ordinary NTSC-compatible 480i (720 by 480 interlaced) standard definition camcorder. It records to 4 GB of internal non-removable flash memory and/or removable Memory Stick and Secure Digital flash memory cards. The recorded video is lossy compressed using the MPEG-2 codec and the audio is lossy compressed using the Dolby Digital AC-3 codec.

Almost any Windows 7 compatible NLE should support the files produced by the DCR-SX44 and for basic edits you could try the bundled Sony PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software although based upon Sony's specs, I'm not really certain under just which versions of Windows 7 it will operate.

Just for reference, here are the basic video frame sizes for both standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) video.

Standard Definition (SD)
NTSC - 720 x 480 (480i) (square-pixel display format is 640 x 480)
PAL - 720 x 576 (576i) (square-pixel display format is 768 x 576)

High Definition (HD)
1280 x 720 (720p - progressive)
1920 x 1080 (1080i - interlaced)
1920 x 1080 (1080p - progressive)

Frank, Independent Consultant, Somewhere in the State of New York
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ].