hd video from the airplane

How to shoot best high-definition video in various specific situations, regardless of camcorder model. Accessories: tripods, stabilizers, lights...
shammah98

Re: hd video from the airplane

Post by shammah98 »

That nflight cam looks tempting, a little pricy though, considering it's lmtd use (for flight). Im afraid though, if it's a CMOS sensor, then depending on the mounting, you'll end up with the same problem. Since first encountering this problem, I've done a lot of experimenting and research. Yeah turning off the OIS does initially solve the issue, but depending on ur cam, u hit a bump or change rpm (big change), and then the cam goes out of focus. So you solve the rolling shutter effect but create a different one. leaving the focus on manual inifinty doesnt' help.

The other day I just tried shooting with the video mode in our camera (panny fz 35), it has a CCD sensor. not only was the video sharper, brighter, clearer, but also no rolling shutter effect. But then, occasionally there would be some banding if we caught the light just the right (wrong) way. Im not sure why most high end camcorders utilize CMOS, when it seems CCD captures better video with less issues? cost?

anyways,, it seems it all comes down to mounting. less vibration = less issues
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

mhardy06
- yes the main problem as Stephan said is CMOS sensor and the rolling-shutter. To be honest, your best bet is to buy a videocam with a CCD and this will eliminate that effect. You could buy i would think VERY cheaply an older sony CCD-sensor camcorder on ebay for maybe US$100-200. Something like a TRV22 or TRV33 are old, produce fine video, and are CCD sensors. Doesnt hav eto be Sony - try picking up almost a Panasonic or Canon, preferably one with EIS image stabilisation as they're meant to work better than OIS in high-vibration environments. I don't think you will ever get rid of the 'jelly' effect in your Cessna. Certain engine RPMs will produce harmonics in the fuselage and hit a bad frequency.

CMOS sensors are great at certain thigns (no vertical lines on bright light sources ! - one under-appreciated thing about CMOS vs CCD) but they are not at their best in this application.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

oh one more thing... off-topic i know but plane and filming related.

Watch this plan landing video below. A lot bigger than a Cessna.

- try lying on the beach and concentrating on your suntan and the waves lapping at the shore when this happens?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo

I bet everyone under that plane (747 i think) ducked, including the car-drivers. Completely nuts approach.
This is Juliana Intnl.in St.Maarten in the Carribean, video taken from Maho beach.