Transfer HDV to PC with data code in filename

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
BobOrange

Transfer HDV to PC with data code in filename

Post by BobOrange »

Hi there

I have a Sony HDR-HC7 recording in HDV. I now have about 4 years of footage on tape sitting in a drawer. I now would like to transfer all to PC and make a 20-30 minute film about our kids' first few years on this planet. I would like that each clip when transfered gets a filename so I can see when it was recorded. I know the data code is there on the tape. I don't want it superimposed on the film! The reason being, I want to make the film historically sequential.

Abobe Premiere (CS3) cannot do this. The Sony software that came with the camera cannot do it. Nero Vision (Nero 9) cannot do it.
I downloaded HDVSplit and it doesn't seem to be able to do it. DVMP Pro 5 does it, however, only for DV footage, not HDV. At least as far as I can tell.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

I find it very strange not more people are having this problem and that a solution is so hard to find.

Thanks for any comments.
BobOrange

Re: Transfer HDV to PC with data code in filename

Post by BobOrange »

Correction: HDVSplit DOES seem to be able to do it. However, my camera is not supported.

HDVSplit supported HDV camcorders:
Sony HDR-HC1
Sony HVR-A1
Sony HDR-FX1
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

What happens when you check "Add date and time to filename" in HDVSplit?

Oops - saw your response... HDVSplit is old software that's not been updated for a while, and probably won't ever again, so you're not going to see any mention of more recent camcorders although it may probably work. Just try it.
BobOrange

Post by BobOrange »

I just tried. All fields are greyed out (disabled). The program does not work with my camera. :-(
BobOrange

Post by BobOrange »

Oops, overlooked something.

Camera was set to convert HDV->DV, hence HDVSplit did not recognise camera. Changed the setting and all works beatifully.

Thanks