HDR-HC7 problems

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
jugegamo

HDR-HC7 problems

Post by jugegamo »

I've had this cam for 3 years now. The first problem that it had was that the image recorded resulted sort of blurry like out of focus. I took it to the sony service shop where they fixed the problem and charged me $350.

After thad, about 3 or 4 months the view finder of the cam began to present a malfcuntion where the image was distorted by runing up and up as if the tv tuning was bad. I had no much problems with this bacause I could still work until the first problem I had with the cam returned again (the image recorded was again blurry). So I only used the cam to upload material to the computer. But yesterday after I ejected a tape, to insert a new one, the cam jus would'nt load the tape in. It just froze there. The lid opens normally but when I insert the tape and close the lid, the cam won't take the tape inside to start playing. my english is not very perfect so I hope I could explain.

What can I do? is it worth it to take it again to fix to sony shop? I wish there would be a definitive solution with those problems and that sony guarantee they will not return, because I use his cam as a backup cam to work and it's very important for me to have this element. My work now has been reduced because of this failure.

I will apreciate all comments!!
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: HDR-HC7 problems

Post by Stephan »

Wow, this is very unlucky. Maybe the cam is aging and hopelessly wearing off? And if it had problems from the start, it's really unlucky and maybe not worth investing more money in this particular cam.

I have a HDR-HC3 which is behaving strangely now, I had to have it serviced because the autofocus suddenly didn't work (blurry image like you say), and that repair was free as I originally took 5-year extended warranty. But it's out of warranty now and I'm not going to get it repaired anymore (old camcorder now).

Maybe you want to get a replacement. If you need to capture HDV tapes, the HDR-HC9 is still in stock and available.
davededude

Post by davededude »

I'm having the exact same problem with my hdr hc9, with the blurry jittery video, did you manage to get this fixed, if so did they say what the problem was?
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

davededude wrote:I'm having the exact same problem with my hdr hc9, with the blurry jittery video, did you manage to get this fixed, if so did they say what the problem was?
Try to determine if the video is actually out-of-focus. Put it in a tripod or a table-top and see if ANYTHING in the shot is in focus. Put something with good contrast in the center of the shot and see if it will focus on that object.
Make sure you are NOT (obviously..) in manual focus.

If its jittering around... hmm.. could be a malfunctioning OIS image stabilisation. Try switching off the Image stabilisation (dig into the menus) and see if that stops it.

basically just a process of elimination to see if you can narrow down the problem.
steve

Post by steve »

I have an HC3 that has given good service over 6 years. However in recent months, it has developed a stutter in its zoom operation. I suppose as consumer kit, it has reached the end of its useful life. I have just bought a CX730E which shows just how far Sony has advanced camcorder design in the period.
Interestingly, the FX1E is still going strong, and whilst a bit soft by current HD standards, is a pleasure to handle with most controls where they should be, i.e. real and accessible at all times!

Steve