HDR-HC1 monitor

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
Paladin

HDR-HC1 monitor

Post by Paladin »

Hey all. I have the Sony HDR-HC1and would like to make a home made jib for it. Since the viewfinder would then be too far away to really monitor what you see I was wondering if I can connect the AV composite out to a small monitor?

If the camera is recording HD can it simultaneously output to the low res composite output live basically extending the viewfinder?

I got the camera free and do not have those cables. I am ordering the cable so cannot test this ahead of time.

Also does anyone have any recommendations on a cheap monitor?

Thanks!
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: HDR-HC1 monitor

Post by acgold7 »

Yes, this should work fine. I do this on all my Sonys, and as anyone around here can tell you I have eleven of them at them at the moment and have owned several dozen overall.

Your best best for a monitor is to buy one of their portable DVD players. They have a Video in Composite port and work great, all for about $100 or less. Something along these lines:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 1666309706

or

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 1666138382

although on this latter model, under "inputs" it says "A/V line OUT" which makes me doubt whether it is also Line IN." Sony is tricky that way.

I have four of the FX820s and two FX930s that we use for shooting and they work great. The older 700 series may not do Video In. Check the Sony Online Outlet periodically and if you have a Sony Store or, better yet, a Sony Outlet Store near you, drop by and see what they have and you can test it. They will probably have your cable and spare batteries (which you will likely need if you have an older cam) there as well.
Adam
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Thanks for the reply. I just ordered this cable:
http://www.dcables.net/Sony_Handycam_HD ... Cable.aspx
That should work I hope. ;)

I stumbled across this for a monitor that may work and it is only $50! :D
http://www.amazon.com/Haier-HLT71-7-Inc ... B001E78UQY

Thanks for the info now I can move forward.

Now to find the best home made jib instructions. ;)
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I almost forgot. Can I use the IEEE1394 (iLink) cable attached and just record directly to a laptop not even using tape or record on tape as normal AND to a laptop at the same time? Or just use the laptop as the monitor in real time?

Thanks again!!!
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

You would need special software to record to the laptop via FW, such as Adobe OnLocation, which comes with CS5.5, and which you would also need to simply monitor. I don't believe you can do so otherwise. You can do this whether or not you are recording to tape.

Another alternative is to add the MRC1k card recorder to your cam, which will allow you to record to CF card and to tape simultaneously.
Adam
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Thanks, I did not know about the MRC1k card recorder. ;)
Man you could chew through CF cards like candy though with 1080i ;)

I have Adobe CS5, I use Premiere and After Effects. I have not played with OnLocation, again thanks man!
I may try to use it this way and just use tapes as a backup. It will probaly be much easier to have the files already there without having to capture it from the tapes. If I ever build a home made jib I can also use the laptop as the monitor so that is cool.

I am not new to videography, I am just not that familiar with this camera as far as its outs etc... I was unsure if it outputted in real time. I know most seem to but I wanted to check since this is about 6 years old now.

I am now looking to get into using it to do some short films etc... I have only really used it a few times to tape. I lent it to a friend so I have not had it in my hands to play with it hence the questions. The manual does not really mention how it outputs etc.. ;)

I will have more to ask as I start really using this to its full potential. I will say that the thing has GREAT video quality.

You guys seem really great, thanks for all the help!
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

Paladin wrote: Man you could chew through CF cards like candy though with 1080i
A 32 Gig card holds about 2 1/2 hours worth of video. After that you offload to PC and re-use.
Adam
steve

Post by steve »

acgold7 wrote:You would need special software to record to the laptop via FW, such as Adobe OnLocation, which comes with CS5.5, and which you would also need to simply monitor. I don't believe you can do so otherwise. You can do this whether or not you are recording to tape.

Another alternative is to add the MRC1k card recorder to your cam, which will allow you to record to CF card and to tape simultaneously.
You can record DV and HDV direct to disk and view at the same time using VLC. There is a slight delay between the camera screen and the PC window image with DV. This delay increases to about 1 second with HDV, but it would probably be the same with On Location. I have fed my FX1 into my laptop many times to get a pretty good monitoring image when using it on a crane.

Steve
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Thanks! I got it back from my friend and got to try it with OnLocation, works great.
There is that 1 second delay so I will still need a monitor for the crane (once I build it) but I will record to the laptop and maybe tape as a backup.

Thanks again!

If anyone has used this camera and has any advice to get the best out of it fire away ;)
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Wow that MRC1k card recorder is really nice. I wish I had the money for one ;)
Can you use those with any camera?