Moisture condensation problem with my HVR A1P

HDR-HC9 (2008). HDR-HC5, HDR-HC7 (2007). HDR-HC3 (2006). HDR-HC1 / HVR-A1 (2005).
Shoulder-mount HVR-HD1000.
julieta

Moisture condensation problem with my HVR A1P

Post by julieta »

I have a problem with condensation and moisture sensor of my camera HVR A1P.
I tried to dry it, reset and wiping the sensor (according to instructions in this website http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-a1 ... ion-2.html) but had still not working.
Every time I turn on the camera, tells me that there is condensation and suggests I turn it off for an hour.
There a way to override the sensor? When I checked with Sony, they asked me to send it to official technical support, but don't want to risk sending it if I can resolve it otherwise.
Appreciate your opinion. Thanks.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Moisture condensation problem with my HVR A1P

Post by acgold7 »

You could try putting it in a plastic bag with some fresh packets of silicagel.
Adam
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

I remember people 'smacking' it firmly on the bottom side with the palm, with the same purpose of getting rid of dust on the sensor. So if you've cleaned it already, not many options left. Silica gel as said, or send to the repair shop.  
julieta

Post by julieta »

Thank you very much, I'll try the gel and then I will tell you if it works.
jjaavv

Post by jjaavv »

Hi All,
I too have a Sony HVRA1P, and just yesterday found the tape will not run at viewing speed, though it will run at search speed. I did not get a "moisture warning", but a message in the view-finder said to run a head cleaner. This I tried, but I'm not sure that worked properly. After about 15 minutes the camera appeared to record, so I then shot about 30 minutes of video. Today, I tried to review the tape and it will not run again. We have had an enormous amount of rain here, and the room humidity in our house is at present 91 percent. What should I try now? Many thanks,
jjaavv
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

if you have a/c run a/c in a room for 24hours, (a small room is best) and dry the camera out. ALso you could try putting it into a plastic bag with as much silica gel as you have (you can buy it from hardware stores in jars).

If the tape is jammed, then thats a different error, and there's a completely different, and a little more brutal solution.
jjaavv

Post by jjaavv »

Hi Doughie,

Thanks for your help. In the mean time I have had the camera plugged into 240v overnight, and when I ran the tape it worked perfectly. Many thanks, Jim.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

hi Jim

you guys have a WHOLE lot of moisture in Queensland right now... i wish all you out there all the best. I've spent a lot of time in Cairns, Pt.Douglas, Brisbane, Tully River, and i think my favorite place (odd i know) is Chillagoe. I am a huge fan of Aus in general and Queensland in particular so i wish everyone there the best with the big cleanup from the massive flooding.
TheLoveDish

Post by TheLoveDish »

Thanks jjaaw,
I realise this is an old thread but came across when I was trying solve the same problem, tried many things, but your advice on plugging in 240v overnight, worked. I was about to throw the camera and get some updated equipment, although excited about buying new stuff, it's much better to have my gear working,
thanks again,
Marcus
Doughie
Global Moderator

Post by Doughie »

hmm, so maybe the heat from being plugged in overnight manages to warm some internal part enough to evaporate some residual moisture and get rid of that message? Good to hear your A1P has risen from the ashes!