Sony FX1 Very Low Gain

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
China

Sony FX1 Very Low Gain

Post by China »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to here but wonder if there is anyone who can perhaps point me in the right direction to help fix an issue with my beloved FX1.

Next to my brothers FX1, mine needs about 18dB of gain to look in the same ballpark. All settings are identical on both cameras, but the difference is enormous... unless I am shooting in daylight, the result is pretty much unusable.

I have made sure the ND filters are off, and have also checked that they still do their thing.

The camera took a fall off a tripod a while ago (work experience guy), but as most of the camera usage was outdoor at that stage, I did not realise I had a problem until I did an A/B with the second FX1.

Has anyone run into this kind of problem before and can anyone help me please?

Thank you and Cheers,

China.
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: Sony FX1 Very Low Gain

Post by Doughie »

so what exactly is the problem with the image? I am guessing it is too dark, judging by your comment that it needs 18dB gain to compare to the 2nd FX1. any other issues? focus ok? is it sharp? color is ok? recording ok? plays back ok?

My guess is this : A jammed ND filter. These are mechanical filters (small), switched into the optical path by the ND switch. you can hear and feel them clunk into place. I am guessing here that one or more ND filters got jammed ON (i.e. in the optical path) and so this is why you are finding you have to use a lot of gain compared to second FX1. if you can shoot indoors, on identical scene, and tell us how much gain the 2nd (good) FX1 is using and how much MORE your camera needs to match the same exposure, we can probably tell you which ND filter is jammed. 6dB of gain is equivalent to 1 stop. So by matching the brightness of an identical scene (and really it does need to be identical, so get a tripod and switch the cameras on that tripod, making sure iris and shutter speed are identical) then tell us how much gain the good FX1 needs and how much gain your FX1 needs. I am going to say that it will be a multiple of 6db. Either 6db or 12db or something like that. if it IS a multiple of 6dB then that supports my theory that a ND filter is jammed. If it's not a multiple of 6dB it could be that an ND filter is jammed part-way in the optical path (rather than jammed 100% into the optical path).

(of course it may not be jammed ND filter at all, the FX1 may have suffered other damage when it hit the ground.)
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: Sony FX1 Very Low Gain

Post by acgold7 »

I think Doughie's diagnosis is likely correct. Do you see a shift in exposure when you move the ND switch? If not, it's jammed. If so, it's something else.

Can you post photos? If you play back on a good monitor with DATA CODE [DATE/CAM] enabled, it should display all cam data, and if you can take a picture of that and post it maybe we can help more.
Adam