iLink/Firewire problems

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
Doughie
Global Moderator

Re: iLink/Firewire problems

Post by Doughie »

Wow - well there you are, darn Windows Operating Systems! I am glad you have identified the problem area and now are able to capture HDV. I agree it is bizarre the XP SP2 wouldnt do it.

On a OS-related note, i have been using many different Windows OS's since the late 1980's. I started using Windows 7 in March this year (after many years with various incarnations of XP) and i have to say for me it's the best designed, most robust and enjoyable Windows OS i have used. Microsoft finally got it right, more or less, with Win7. I avoided Vista like the bubonic plague, like many others.

I think in this instance it's best to not attempt to understand what is going on (probably driver related i would think) but just go with what works.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but in XP, SP 2 is not the current version. You should upgrade to SP3. I believe Microsoft has announced they are no longer supporting SP2.
Adam
Tunguy

Post by Tunguy »

If anyone is still looking at the problem getting ADOBE CS5 to recognise the SONY FX1000 for capture of video footage, I solved the problem! I went to device manager in the Control and clicked on the IEEE1394 Bus host controllers and noticed the although it listed the Sony as a VCR, there was no driver.It was a simple matter to get windows to go online and install the driver! It all works well now. :-)
nuteski

Post by nuteski »

I'm having similar problems with an HVR-V1E I bought recently second hand, it's very frustrating...

I followed the connection procedure in the manual to the letter, but my well-specced desktop PC running Windows 7 just won't see it. When I plug my little JVC in, I have no problems with recognition or capture. I have Premier Elements 9 but a fat lot of use it is with a camcorder my PC just doesn't pick up.

I've checked all the settings (iLink Conv off etc) but still am getting nowhere, while the Sony support people just keep trying to pass me around their different teams.

Help!!!
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

"Just won't see it"... People won't always give the same meaning to that. First and foremost, you need to see the camcorder, one way or another, in Windows Device Manager.

Try another cable. Try with another computer, because Firewire isn't so much a Standard as you would expect, and sometimes some chipsets may be more or less compatible with specific devices.

If you can't see your cam in the Device Manager, on any computer with any cable, you're in bad luck with a fried camcorder. If you can see it, then it's your lucky day because that's probably a software and/or driver issue then (that you need to reinstall cleanly).
nuteski

Post by nuteski »

OK thanks Stephan I'll try that - I was beginning to wonder whether there was a firewire problem but had (almost) discounted it as my crappy JVC shows up in device manager and can be captured from, and the HVR LCD shows up that it is connected via iLink (even though the device manager still ignores it).

I'll see if I can find some alternative PCs and firewire connectors to try it with. In the meantime, I am also wondering whether it could be a Windows 7 problem?

Final question (anxiety turned up to max) what does 'fried' mean? and what does un-frying involve?

thganks so much for your help,

Alex
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

We've seen all sorts of maddening incompatibility issues, like another thread where someone had a problem with one of the older cams only with MacOS X 10.6.4 and not with another Mac... Or with a cable, and not another cable. And some firewire chipset being more tolerant than others. And issues happening with only specific cams, and not other cams.

I never had an issue myself. Using high-end Asus motherboards, reliable like rock. Always shutting down everything and unplugging the power before connecting the cam.

"Fried camcorders" used to happen when people hot-plug the cams into the computer, with the AC power plugged into the wall outlet. There's some short-circuit that seemed to happen sometimes, resulting in a permanently fried firewire port (like a 'frying pan'). There's no unfrying, unfortunately.

If your HVR's LCD says "HDV out", then there's hope I believe. Like your camcorder at least establishing electrical connection and detecting the other party, but there's some driver issue somewhere most probably.

Don't forget that HDV/DV must be set to HDV in the menu (not AUTO), otherwise your cam may switch personality (!) unexpectedly and confuse your computer's OS.