Sony NEX-VG10 (APS-C sensor, interchangeable lens)

Sony NEX-VG20, NEX-FS100 NXCAM 35mm (2011). NEX-VG10 (2010).
Panasonic AG-AF100/101 (2010).
Chevypower

Post by Chevypower »

Hi guys, and thanks to the admin for making a comeback. I like not having a specific reference to HDV, it is a dead technology.
I'm sure most have heard about this, if not, here it is. I suspect an NXCAM version would come out also. With 24mb/s recording, 1080p/60 and XLR inputs.
I hope we can get more word regarding this camcorder.

http://www.eventfilmmaker.com/content.php/83
Last edited by Stephan on 14 Jul 2010 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed topic title to reflect Sony NEX-VG10 announcement on 13-Jul-2010
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Sony APSC E-mount AVCHD Camcorder

Post by Stephan »

Thanks, and welcome back!

Wrote a short note in the blog about this cam (Sony announces interchangeable lens, DSLR-like HD camcorder), with a link to the full press release and also to an insightful article by Matt Jeppsen about that next revolution coming up. Very exciting, but as I wrote, I wonder who it will really be for.

PS: as the product is unnamed and not out yet, moving this thread to "Product announcements". Will probably be a whole category of its own.
Chevypower

Post by Chevypower »

Cheers, and when I wrote it, I missed the link on the home page. I came in on the old link, and just went straight to the forums. I think it's very exciting times, and I guess we have to thank the video on DSLR craze. It makes you wonder what else is being worked on? 35mm CMOS XDCAM-EX camera?
Chevypower

Post by Chevypower »

Last edited by Stephan on 14 Jul 2010 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged from 2nd thread
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: Sony NEX-VG10 (APS-C sensor, interchangeable lens)

Post by Stephan »

Here's more:
Last edited by Stephan on 14 Jul 2010 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged from 2nd thread
klenkfilm

Post by klenkfilm »

And here is the real thing, on the shelves in September, less than 2.000$ street for sure:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10071 ... .asp#specs

Poor man's Scarlet?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Sony Europe and Sony U.S. press release links.

Sony Europe - NEX-VG10E
http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/deta ... wsAreaId=2

Sony U.S. (Sony Electronics Inc., San Diego, California) - NEX-VG10
http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_room/ ... 58004.html

Note that the U.S. release is dated June 13, 2010 when it should be dated July 13, 2010.

Frank, Independent Consultant, Somewhere in the State of New York
Read Frank's thoughts on HDV
[ also covers AVCHD (including AVCCAM & NXCAM) and XDCAM EX ].
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

[Mod note] We had 2 threads on this new camcorder, I merged them both here.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

So who is it for?

I'd say the 60i/50i restriction kills it for the indie filmmaking community. And the manual control through menus kills it for professionals (or does it?) Which leaves it for consumers. Alright, well... with such a good price I'd say I'm tempted! But there are major open points that will need to be cleared by hands-on reviews and feedback from early buyers.

What do you think?

Product strengths:
  • Mid-sized camcorder form factor with top handle and greater capacity batteries - best suited for shooting video on the go (compared to DSLRs).
  • Large APS-C sensor: high dynamic range and shallow depth of field (for those who seek it).
  • Moderate weight and size (easier to travel with) - NEX-VG10: 1.3kg / 97x132x294mm (with battery and 18-200 lens), compared to HDR-FX7: 1.6kg / 145x156x322mm (with battery and lens hood).
  • Quality microphone (compared to DSLRs).
  • Full manual control of Iris, Shutter Speed, Gain, and White Balance (via jog dial).
  • AVCHD recording format widely supported (24 Mbps max bitrate available); no restriction on continuous shooting time compared to DSLRs (other than media capacity).
  • Support for both SDHC and SDXC memory cards (should support memory cards larger than 32GB).
  • Interchangeable lenses give you (some) choice; compability with both new E-mount and former Sony α DSLR & Minolta A-mount (see limitations).
  • Affordable cost, great value (list price USD $2000 including 18-200mm zoom lens with OIS).
  • Standard cold shoe available; ability to connect external microphone of own choice (standard mini jack only).
  • HDMI output.
  • Nice still camera features like Auto HDR (high dynamic range).
Limitations:
  • 60i / 50i recording only, no 24p - a showstopper for all indie filmmakers who led the Large Sensor Revolution.
  • Manual control via menu.
  • Autofocus, optical image stabilization, and aperture control are only available with the new Sony E-mount lenses, effectively reducing lens options drastically.
  • No internal storage.
  • Non-closing lens cap.
  • 60i recording still unavailable in European models - Come on Sony, hear the message: your consumers are now the YouTube / Vimeo generation, give us what we want!
  • No XLR audio.
  • Compressed audio format cannot replace external recording device for high-quality audio situations like concerts.
Open points:
  • Any rolling shutter artifacts compared to traditional camcorders? Can we actually carry this cam around in run&gun style and travel situations? Can we shoot from a car (road trip)?
  • Any aliasing artifacts? Compared to DSLRs, the large body and battery should allow for enough processing power to perform adequate downscaling - hopefully.
  • Manual control: how practical is it really, with a single oddly-placed dial for all functions? They seem to have removed the EXPOSURE button which was critically useful to set exposure instantaneously as needed - can't live without it.
  • Minimum illumination 11 lux, really?!?? (Shutter speed: 1/30 sec, Iris: F3.5, Gain: Auto)
  • How does the "25-point autofocus system" retain appropriate focus in real-life situations?
  • Color accuracy - no White Balance Shift to adjust white point from the presets?
  • No custom picture profiles? Although it seems possible to tune contrast, saturation, and sharpness, can we modify the 6 built-in "finishing styles" for the purpose of storing custom picture profiles?
  • No mention of built-in ND (Neutral Density) filters. Should we carry external ND filters and switch them around, or are ND filters less needed here because of the large / high dynamic range sensor?
  • Critical software features, like histogram, zebras, and displaying camera exposure data on the LCD or VF while shooting.
  • Audio recording levels cannot be adjusted - to be confirmed (info from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/N ... XVG10A.HTM)
  • New integrated microphone design (with extra lateral capsules) seems to aim at cancelling side noise automatically - nice, but how effective?
Chevypower

Post by Chevypower »

@Stephan, good write-up! Lack of true 1080/24,25,30,50,60p outputs, XLR inputs and having compressed lossy audio are big disappointments. We can only hope for a step-up model that takes care of these issues! I think everything but the compressed lossy audio will be addressed in another model. Can AVCHD not have PCM audio? Actually, you can get PCM audio on Blu-ray with AVC encoding, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue? Come on Sony Pro, take this camera and give us what we really want. You have our attention now. Also, we need some f/2.8 zoom lenses! My understanding is Sony Pro may release a prosumer camera with a 36x24 sensor before NAB 2011. Certainly take that with a grain of salt, but the market is definitely shifting here. Keep all the news coming in! Usually when there are a consumer AND pro version of the same camera, they get announced close to each other, but not on the same day.