35mm Adapter Question

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
Nusdogg

35mm Adapter Question

Post by Nusdogg »

As I was going through Youtube, I came across this video which talks about a 35mm Adapter which lets you focus on one specific thing in the video which leaves the rest of the background a little blurry which made it look cool. So, I was wondering where can I find something like this to use on my Sony HDR-CX110 Handycam??

Here's the youtube link I saw from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoEEdm_Pw5A

Any inputs are welcome. Thanks boys/gals.
Last edited by Stephan on 31 Jan 2011 08:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed non-working link to YouTube
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: 35mm Adapter Question

Post by acgold7 »

I would suspect that the best place for info on this is the web address they gave in the video.

They have a variety of kits. The smallest adapter ring they sell is 37mm but your cam is 30mm, so you'll need a step ring to make it fit.
Adam
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Forget that YouTube advertisement, don't just look at one brand.

Anyone interested in 35mm adapters, take a look instead at Videomaker's much more interesting 35mm Adapter Guide. There are at least 7 different manufacturers to choose from, with different price points (and quality I suppose). I seem to remember that Philip Bloom was a big fan of Letus, before he switched to Video DSLRs and Micro 4/3 camcorders.

But you'll still have the 30mm ring issue, I guess. Even the Letus Mini seems to start with 37mm mounts.
Nusdogg

Post by Nusdogg »

I appreciate both replies. I've looked and searched around with no luck for my HDR-CX110. I've tried Google and Ebay still with no luck. And like Stephan said, It's mostly 35mm+ and none for the 30mm.

I know I'll need to get a ring adapter to retain any adapter that is bigger than 30mm, but I tried and couldn't find any for my Handycam. If anyone has one for theirs, I'd like to know where to get a focus adapter as well for my Handycam.

Thanks again.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Quick search on Google: "30 mm step-up ring", there are some available for $7 on both B&H Photo Video and Amazon.

Be aware though that 35mm DOF adapters have some drawbacks: they're heavy, therefore may require a rig and a tripod to mount them together with the camera, they partly cut light (which isn't good), and seem to add such complexity & unexpected quirks that I've only read about professional (or apprentice) film-makers actually being able to use those things correctly. Not to mention the extra cost ("Buy Cheap, Buy Twice").

Somehow also, they seem to be slightly things of the past, with hardly anybody talking about them for the past months. If you're fond of photography and really want to achieve that "shallow depth of field" effect, I'd suggest maybe you also take a look at a Video DSLR. Although that's a completely different solution, it's like where everybody seems to be heading these days when they want to achieve shallow DOF.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I agree with Stephan completely on this one, but if you really want to go this way, I'm not sure what you mean by no luck for the CX110. The adapter you linked to, as well as likely most or all of the others out there, will work with any cam; all you need is the step up ring. I've got a bunch of them left over from when I had a couple of cams with 30mm threads and had to put 37mm accessories on them. They were less than 10 bucks at B&H.

Here are some:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... ring=30-37
Adam
Nusdogg

Post by Nusdogg »

Thanks for the link and input peeps.

I want something like this for my CX110 just so I can work with the depth of field and more clearity zoom which will make the videos stands out and sharp:

Source: http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showprod ... roduct/195

So there is other step up rings bigger than 37mm right? Just incase I find some nice bigger adapters that I want so I can use the 30mm-xxmm step up ring to retain that adapter.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Nusdogg I'm sorry, I can't make sense of what you're saying - there must be some drastic misunderstanding somewhere.

This is a DSLR lens - for stills cameras, that is. You cannot mount such a lens right in front of your CX110 camcorder. It's not just about thread diameter and step-up rings. Optics and lenses just don't work this way.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

So here's how it works:

Camcorder > Step Ring > Adapter > Lens.

All you need to do is figure out what thread diameter the adapter takes on the camera end and what lens will attach to it on the other end.

Google "35mm DOF Adapter" and you will likely get millions of hits.
Adam
Nusdogg

Post by Nusdogg »

Sorry for all the confusion as I'm new to all these stuff.

One more question though, my filter lens is 30mm so then do I get a 30.5mm-37mm step up ring or just a straight 30mm-37mm ring? I'm a Auto Tech student and just thought of this as I did encounter a few similar problem on my car when getting an Dryflow Air Filter for my 2.25" Intake Piping and I had to get a 2.5" Air Filter to get to fit over the 2.25" piping. Hope you guys/gals get my point.

And I'll try the search on that. Thanks again for all the inputs.