EX1R or something else?

PMW-EX1R (2009). PMW-EX3, PMW-EX1 (2008).
steve

EX1R or something else?

Post by steve »

I've been preparing to get an EX1R as my next main camera early in the new year. As each month goes by it seems that Sony will have to do something to protect the EX range's market share:
Canon have produced a product that is:
a bit larger
has a better (broadcast approved) codec
it uses cheaper media as its preferred storage medium

Then there's the bokeh brigade, also led by Canon with DSLRs with flawed downscaling and atrocious ergonomics. From that, as you can tell, I'm not a fan of using one of these as a main camera, but if I wanted a tool for fixed position shooting, it could be tempting. In extremis, it could do as a backup general camera - at c1000UKP for a 550D plus lens its a bargain.

So Sony decided to have a go with the NEX-VG10. Camcorder ergonomics but still moire' and scaling artifacts whenever anything with repetitive texture is in frame, back to the days of subcarrier dot crawl. Its really just a fashion release.

Now Panasonic have done the big lens camera properly at a price that I could afford, but it would still only be suitable for 'stable camera' use as Panasonic themselves say. So Sony are about to announce their version, this time a full frame 35mm beast, estimated to sell at around 12000UKP plus lens! At least that's outside my budget so no dilemma there.

The big queston for me is will Sony do anything to keep the market that they created with the EX1? Will they finally do something about the codec to get it past Alan Robert's trusted BBC entrance exam and give the XF300/5 a run for its money? Will they nail what's left of the infra red issue?
If all of those were dealt with, at another 1-2K UKP, it could be a deal for me. EX5 by NAB?

Steve
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: EX1R or something else?

Post by Stephan »

steve wrote:So Sony are about to announce their version, this time a full frame 35mm beast, estimated to sell at around 12000UKP plus lens! At least that's outside my budget so no dilemma there.
Link: Sony PMW-F3K
steve

Post by steve »

Stephan,

Just a coincidence that I posted last night, and you got out of bed earlier than me this morning!* So it looks like the big offering from Sony is well out of my reach. That still leaves the broadcast entry level of the conventional mid-size camcorder market in Canon's hands unless a Nanoflash is used. That's a shame as an upgrade to the codec (I guess) would be within Sony's engineering capability as an EX1R+ release.
Not sure where to go next year. The EX1R has dropped a little in price here in the UK, despite the Yen/Pound exchange rate going even more adverse than a year ago. Plus there's the offer of a free Vegas 10 Pro licence if silver service is registered before March 2011, that's another 500GBP saving.

Steve

* maybe they will stop talking about the UK going onto GMT+1/BST+1 and actually do it one day.
steve

Post by steve »

Well it seems that Sony have another surprise lined up for release. With a bit of luck, it will be a competitor to the AF100/101. Apparently the 17 November is the magic day.

Steve
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

Now, that's a teaser! Where's your source (link)?

I expected mid-november to be the actual release date for the NEX-VG10.
steve

Post by steve »

I don't have a link, but there is talk on other forums of another mystrious lump under the sheets of the F3 announcement. To be honest, I can't see Sony leaving the obvious demand for a more pro specced version of the VG10 unsatisfied for long. Thinking back to the FX1/Z1 launch, the FX1 appeared in September/November 2004 and the Z1 hit the stores early in 2005. A similar launch timeline was used for the HC1/A1 and the FX7/V1.
That's not to say that the VG10 is a direct competitor for the AF100/101 as it does stills and doesn't fully address the moire and artifacts of low cost downscaling.

Steve
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

steve wrote:That's not to say that the VG10 is a direct competitor for the AF100/101 as it does stills and doesn't fully address the moire and artifacts of low cost downscaling.
... and a different price range and feature set. Distinct targets for sure, I'd say.

We've started threads for both of these in the APS-C / Micro Four Thirds camcorders subforum.
steve

Post by steve »

See my post:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=204

Maybe my decision is getting easier.

Steve