Repairing the image database

3D - HDR-TD10 (2011).
Professional models - HXR-NX70 (2011). HXR-MC2000, HXR-MC50 (2010).
Flash Memory / consumer - HDR-CX260V, HDR-CX580V, HDR-CX740VE, HDR-CX760V (2012). HDR-CX360V, HDR-CX560V, HDR-CX700V (2011). HDR-CX110, HDR-CX150, HDR-CX300, HDR-CX350V, HDR-CX550V (2010). HDR-CX100 (2009). HDR-CX12 (2008). HDR-CX7 (2007).
Hard Disk / consumer - HDR-XR260V (2012). HDR-XR150, HDR-XR350V, HDR-XR550V (2010). HDR-XR100, HDR-XR200, HDR-XR500, HDR-XR520 (2009). HDR-SR11, HDR-SR12 (2008). HDR-SR5, HDR-SR7 (2007).
ragnar

Repairing the image database

Post by ragnar »

Hello,

I've got a HDR-SR11E. My problem is the following: my image database file is damaged. On the LCD it is proposed to repair it. The trouble is that my touch screen does not work any more. I will send it for repair, but right now I need to use my camera. The good point is that I can still connect the SR-11 to my PC and access its hard disk.
Does anyone know of a way to repair the image database file without using the feature built in the SR-11 ?
Possible ways :
1. Reformat the hard disk (which seems to be in FAT32, but maybe there's something special ?)
2. Delete all files on the disk and then copy brand new files from a "clean" SR-11 ?
3. Run on my PC a software (develop by Sony) that will repair the database ?

Subsidiary question :
does anyone know which file exactly is the "image database file"? I suppose it is one of the 3 files in the hidden directory AVF_INFO (AVIN0001.INP, AVIN0001.INT, OTDISCBN.IND)

Please help me !
Arkady Bolotin

Re: Repairing the image database

Post by Arkady Bolotin »

Those files (you mentioned in your post) are image management files located in the AVF_INFO folder. As the Sony manual reads, “When you delete the files, you cannot record/play back the images correctly. The files are defaulted as hidden files and not usually displayed.” My guess, they play the same role as those of Windows determining image files allocation on a disk.

So, my advice, do not try to modify these files from your computer – you may destroy them (at least, such operation is not guaranteed) – but instead use the Sony proprietary software that will try to repair the database.
ragnar

Post by ragnar »

I've done it !
I manage to repair the database myself !
Here is the procedure :
1. first you must have the whole set of files from a "clean" HCR (my cousin who's got the same camcorder, send them to me). Though these files represents arounf 400 MB, once zipped this falls down to 4 MB !
2. you erase all the files on your camera HD
3. you copy the "clean" set of file on your HD
4. That's all folks. When you turn on the HCR it no more says "Database image damaged". You can record films again.

Of course this won't bring back to life your touch screen, but at least it lets you capture movies/pics again.
in July I'll go on vacation in the USA and I will be able to film my journey. When I'll be back I'll send my HCR for repair, but in the meantime I'll be able to bring a visual souvenir from my trip !

It is really a pity that the touch screen is the ONLY way to use the setup of the HCR.
Even the remote control does not work for this. My feeling is that's it's done on purpose.

PS: if you need to remove movie/pictures files from your HD (and your LCD is broken) just run the procedure again
gastoniba

Post by gastoniba »

Hello sorry to bother you can you send me please those files to restore database image file to <email address deleted by administrator> thanks.

<Moderator note: we advise against sharing email addresses publicly on boards, as they are usually harvested by spam bots. Better use share sites like rapidshare.com>
Last edited by Stephan on 29 Jun 2010 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed email address
ragnar

Post by ragnar »

gastoniba wrote:Hello sorry to bother you can you send me please those files to restore database image file to <email address deleted by administrator> thanks.

<Moderator note: we advise against sharing email addresses publicly on boards, as they are usually harvested by spam bots. Better use share sites like rapidshare.com>
Hello gastoniba

I've created a self-extractible RAR with the database files required.
Here is the rapidshare link : http://rapidshare.com/files/404294361/RESTORE.exe.html
Just copy RESTORE.exe on your camcorder HD and execute it : all required folders/files will be automatically extracted.

WARNING : I supply this "as is". This has worked for me but I can't guarantee it will on another device.
I advise that first you make a full backup of the files on your camcorder HD, so that you may roll back if things turn bad.
Cheers
ragnar

Post by ragnar »

By the way, one more thing :

the HD of the camcorder is formatted in FAT32. If you need to reformat it, you need a special soft.
The Microsoft format command won't do because it won't format disks larger than 32GB.
So you need a third-party software. I've tried many of them but nearly all of them failed to format.
The only soft that did the job correctly was HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

I hope this will save you time.
gastoniba

Post by gastoniba »

Thank you very much, the information was really useful, thanks again
zajo

Post by zajo »

hello i have the same problem with the Sony HDR-SR7 Could someone refresh the link, not allowed to get rapidshare
ragnar

Post by ragnar »

Hi zajo,

I've put the file back on Rapidshare. Here is the new link : http://rapidshare.com/files/445985810/RESTORE.exe

Just copy RESTORE.exe on your camcorder HD and execute it : all required folders/files will be automatically extracted.

WARNING : I supply this "as is". This has worked for me but I can't guarantee it will on another device.
I advise that first you make a full backup of the files on your camcorder HD, so that you may roll back if things turn bad.

Cheers
zajo

Post by zajo »

Hey Ragnar

Thank you for the refresh link. but I have a further problem OTDISCBN.IND file is missing. AVF_INFO in a folder. Could you once again browse to the folder and send the raipidsher. thank you