HVR Z1 tape - inexpensive options for deck to upload

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
Brian H

HVR Z1 tape - inexpensive options for deck to upload

Post by Brian H »

I have a bunch of HD tapes with footage from a HVR- Z1 but do not have access to the camera. I am looking to get the tape footage onto a hard drive. I can rent a deck at $200 a day but would need for at least 2 days. For that amount of money I was hoping I could find an inexpensive old camera to use as a deck but I am not sure about tape compatibility.

My thought was maybe use one of the old Sony HVR -HC series of camcorders (HC3,5,7 or 9) as a deck for these tapes but not sure they will work.

Does anyone have any suggestions to my dilemma - getting HD tape footage from a Z1 onto a hard drive and use a less expensive camera than a Z1.

Thank you,
Stephan
Site Admin

Re: HVR Z1 tape - inexpensive options for deck to upload

Post by Stephan »

Hello Brian, welcome! I spent half a year in Boulder back then when I was a bit younger... CU, the Flatirons, mule deers like pests eating plants in the garden. I learned skying in Winter Park, Breckenridge... A fantastic time there!

Regarding your question, they are all compatible. I have both an HDR-FX7 and HDR-HC3, and I use the HC3 to capture all tapes. Well, used to... because the 5-yr old HC3 is nearly dying on me now and begins having trouble reading its own tapes, but that's another matter.

I recall we've had one forum member having issues with misaligned tape heads, preventing him to read tapes from one camera onto another. But I guess it's really rare, and other than that they're all compatible.
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

I used an HC3 for capture only for quite a while before I went out and bought a deck. It'll work fine. Any Sony HDV cam should. There are likely dozens available on eBay.
Adam
Brian H

Post by Brian H »

Wow, great news! Thanks for the replies Stephen and Adam. I have been looking into the HCs and will get one. Thanks again.

Stephen, Boulder still very much fun, just keeps getting more expensive to live here ;)