What is the Difference between the Sony HVR-V1N and the V1U?

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
mbazzle

What is the Difference between the Sony HVR-V1N and the V1U?

Post by mbazzle »

I just purchased the Sony HVR-V1N on ebay. I was having a hard time comparing it to anything because any results that I googled kept bringing up the V1U. What is the difference between the two? Will I have trouble transferring the video to my PC and using it to create videos? I found something about a guy purchasing the V1N in Korea...hmm. Will it be formatted to work with our United States TV? I'm hoping to use this camera for television productions. Thanks!
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: What is the Difference between the Sony HVR-V1N and the

Post by acgold7 »

Only the warranty. They're both NTSC. The U suffix denotes US; the N is for either NTSC, Non-US NTSC or North America, depending upon who you listen to. You'll note the manual says V1U/V1N. They're the same machine. I'm guessing yours is from Canada. The menus may come up in French but there will be an option to change that.
Adam
mbazzle

Post by mbazzle »

OK, awesome. Also, I don't have the camera yet...should have it in one week...I'm seeing online that some promote the camera (V1U) as a 1080p....while others (and the manual I downloaded) say it is a 1080i. Is there a way of finding out what it really is??? And, when I get the camera, is there anyway of finding out what year it was made? Thanks for all your expertise! :)
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

It's both p & i actually. It can record 24p, 30p, and 60i - although 24p/30p are recorded as 60i internally on the tape, so you need to use the correct preset in your editing software to decode that and play it correctly (if I remember correctly).
acgold7
Global Moderator

Post by acgold7 »

And as Stephan's post indicates, "1080p" is meaningless without a frame rate. Any time someone says to you "1080p" (or even "720p") you need to say "1080p what?" Today, most people think they mean 1080p60 by this, but only a few cams and even fewer editing packages and HDTVs do this, and the standard still isn't supported by Blu-Ray and probably never will be. And even now 720p30 is common but 720p60 isn't, even though some of the major sports TV networks broadcast in it.

Regarding year of manufacture, there's no easy way to tell that, but you could look at the serial number and contact Sony Pro Support and see if they can help you. More important, of course, are the usage hours; you'll find them in the OTHERS menu once you receive the cam.
Adam