my HDR-FX1 burn to dvdirect VBD-MA1

HDR-FX1000 / HVR-Z5 (2008). HVR-Z7 / HVR-S270 (2007). HDR-FX7 / HVR-V1 (2006). HDR-FX1 / HVR-Z1 (2004).
lumi

my HDR-FX1 burn to dvdirect VBD-MA1

Post by lumi »

hey guys, so i bought a dvdirect from sony (vbd-ma1) thinking i can directly burn my dv tapes to the blue ray dics on the burner.

Reading thru the manual it seems that with my camera, i can only burn to standard defintion onto dVD.
The manual for the recorder says i need a AVCHD to record to HD video.

Anyone know what i can do to use this burner to work?
acgold7
Global Moderator

Re: my HDR-FX1 burn to dvdirect VBD-MA1

Post by acgold7 »

Yes, unfortunately I think it is only designed to do AVCHD direct to the burner in HD from the cam. For HDV you need to use a PC in between, and you can use this as an external burner. The descriptions are a little misleading because they talk about all cams and all HD but they don't say you can do HDV direct to Blu-Ray. Sony always does this; if they don't say you can do something, you can't.

Unfortunately the only manual for it I can find online is in French so maybe Stephan can help you with it.
Adam
lumi

Post by lumi »

Thanks alot for the reply and help...

That is what i was afraid of... These guys at B&H audio in NY assured me i could... Anyone elses input would be much appreciated.
Stephan
Site Admin

Post by Stephan »

acgold7 wrote:Unfortunately the only manual for it I can find online is in French so maybe Stephan can help you with it.
Okay, I found it. Wow, I can't believe how fantastic and useful our videomaker's search engine is. Finding manuals is a breeze ;-)

So, here's a roughly translated extract of the "Supported devices" section.

Supported:
- Transfer of AVCHD HD video onto blu-ray disc or DVD media.

Not supported:
- Transfer of HDV video from tape.
- Transfer of AVCHD video onto DVD media when bitrates are greater than 18 Mbps (blu-ray media required instead).

Sorry, lumi!